Humans have both an extreme strength and an extreme weakness when it comes to loving their pets. Dog owners in particular are known for loving their dogs the same as they do their children. So what’s the extreme weakness? It’s our lack of good decision making when it comes to our dog’s diet and health. Dogs, across the globe, are taken for medical emergency care due to foods we feed them. One of the most dangerous times of the year for our dogs is Halloween because of the candy and other foods we give to our dogs without realizing what harmful affects they can cause to our dog's health.
Here are 10 foods known to cause dog health problems.
- Alcoholic beverages can cause intoxication, coma or even death.
- Chocolate, coffee, tea and other foods containing caffeine are toxic and may affect your dog’s heart and nervous system.
- Fruit pits can become lodged in the digestive system causing obstruction and possibly leading to death.
- Grapes and raisins both contain an unidentified toxin that has been proven to cause damage to the kidneys.
- Hops, primarily as a flavoring and stability agent when brewing beer, can cause panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures and even death. Hop is also used in other beverages and herbal medicines.
- Macadamia nuts contain an unidentified toxin that is known to affect the digestive and nervous systems and cause muscular problems such as weakness and tremors.
- Marijuana may depress the dog’s nervous system, causing vomiting and changes in their heart rate.
- If your dog has an insufficient amount of lactase enzymes, dairy products are more of a risk.
- Persimmon seeds have caused intestinal obstruction and enteritis (an inflammation of the small intestine).
- Foods or candy sweetened with Xylitol (a substitute for sugar. Used in sugar-free candy, gums and baked goods) can result in low blood sugar and liver damage in dogs.
There are numerous food substances that can be harmful to dogs health such as garlic, raw and cook onions, onion powder, potatoes, rhubarb and even tomato leaves. Raw eggs, raw fish and too much sodium can also lead to canine health problems. It's important to know about these foods and realize the dangers they can have to your puppies health and your dogs health.
Because your dog relies on you to take care of his health needs, you need to know what may or may not harm him. A little education can go a long way towards preventing puppy health problems and adult dog health issues.
So, What Can Your Dog Eat on Halloween?
Pumpkin is actually good for your dog. Many veterinarians and other professional dog handlers recommend putting small amounts in your dog’s food. Just keep in mind that moderation is always important to anything we feed ourselves or our dogs.
Over the past decade there has been a substantial increase in adults dressing up and attending adult Halloween parties. For women there is the Gothic Lace Vampiress Adult Costume and for men there is the really cool Duke of Darkness Vampire Adult Costume. So let lose, have fun and Happy Halloween
Photo Credit: Posterize
Article Source: Articlesbase.com