What are the benefits of chlorophyll to humans? It acts like the blood to plants and has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and wound healing properties.
Chlorophyll is responsible for green pigmentation in plants and it is the substance that gives the plants the green color. Its chemical structure is very similar to the hemoglobin of human blood. The only difference is the magnesium being the central atom in chlorophyll and iron in blood.
The only well known source of chlorophyll is the green leafy vegetables: Asian greens, green peppers, broccoli, spinach, asparagus, lettuce- the greener the better, peas, alfalfa, Swiss chard, leek, also in wheat grass, barley grass and certain types of algae.
You probably already know that the most nutritious, lowest sugar and lowest calorie foods are green vegetables. But avoid overcooking your green vegetables as the cooking process will destroy most of the chlorophyll.
Health Benefits of Chlorophyll:
• Chlorophyll is capable of destroying germs. It increases the disease resistance of cells and, at the same time, prevents the growth of bacteria.
• It promotes a healthy digestive tract, and gets rid of bad smell in your throat and mouth. It also eliminates bad body odor.
• Chlorophyll helps boost your immune system as it includes vitamins A, C, E, K, iron, calcium and folic acid.
• Vitamins A, C, E give the chlorophyll its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and they help to fight free radicals which may damage the cells and cause chronic diseases like cancer.
• It also protects against carcinogens and toxins found in foods and pollution related carcinogens.
• Chlorophyll provides efficient delivery of magnesium and this helps the blood carry oxygen to the cells and tissues.
• It is useful in assimilating and chelating calcium and other heavy minerals.
• Chlorophyll helps increase the heart function.
• It can be great for smoker as it helps in neutralizing the pollution that we breathe in every day.
• Chlorophyll helps stimulate tissue growth and stimulate red blood cells in connection with oxygen supply.
• It may help naturally heal wounds.
* No negative side effects of chlorophyll have been reported and any known side effects are actually quite positive with positive impact on your health: boosting energy, better digestion, increased elimination and blood glucose stabilization.
*As chlorophyll is not an essential nutrient, chlorophyll deficiency hardly exists. However, you need to include plenty of greens in your diet or you will miss out on the many health benefits.
Please see Benefits of Chlorophyll article for more information.
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com
Article Posted: April 4, 2012