If you have been thinking about starting poultry of your own but don't know how to begin, then this article is written for you. You must have gone through several books and websites that will provide you detailed information regarding the same. If you read below, you will have a complete idea of breeding chickens in simple easy-to-follow steps. Here are the steps that will guide you on the entire process:
1) Firstly, get a rooster for your farm. Try and get a rooster that is of the same breed like your hens else, your chicks will be different from your expectations. You must look out for a gentle rooster, one that is not too aggressive.
2) Allow the rooster to be with the hens for some days. Just let it mingle with the hens.
3) Keep your hens well fed and do not collect all the eggs being laid. Let the hens hatch their eggs naturally. When the hen puffs her feathers and does not leave her nest, it is a sign that she is ready to sit on the eggs. Ensure that your nests are at a low level else the chicks might fall off.
4) You must maintain a warm and constant temperature in your hen shed for breeding chickens. This will make it conducive for the entire egg laying process. Ensure there is food and water for the birds at all times.
5) At times some hens just neglect some of their eggs. You must incubate the eggs that are left out by the hens using an incubator. It is simple to use an incubator; you only need to follow the required steps. There is a possibility that hens might eat their own chicks. Not a very common phenomenon but some hens do. So, you must keep an eye on the chicks after the hatching. You could even try giving the neglected eggs to other hens for hatching. However, you need to be careful in doing so.
6) You must wait for about 21 days for breeding. It is better if you maintain a chart that will help you in keeping a count of the days.
If you follow the above tips for breeding chickens it will really help you in having a good quality poultry farm. Just make sure that you supervise the hatching period properly. You must see to it that there is plenty of water and food for the hens to eat. You must never neglect your birds, watch over them at all times. Keep aside a brooder ready for in case the chicks need to be taken from the hen you must have a standby. Take extra care to save the chicks from hens and other predators.
It is a very lucrative business to run a poultry farm due to the ever-rising demands of chickens and eggs. The poultry owner draws immense satisfaction in breeding chickens as it is a different experience to see how the chicks are born, eggs are hatched and the entire mating process. He or she should constantly strive to improve his stock by taking proper steps.
G. Smitty is a writer who loves to discuss many topics ranging from poultry feeders to professional basketball. Thanks for reading! http://breedingchickens.org
Article Source: Articlesbase.com