Carrot and ginger works wonders when it comes to flavor! The sweetness the carrot has and the tang of ginger is one of the best combinations you can do to a dish. Simple vegetarian recipes are not limited to one main vegetable only. You can actually combine a main ingredient to various flavoring vegetables like celery, onions, leeks, etc. Here's a simple vegetarian recipe that will surely impress you from the moment you cook it, to the time you spoon for a taste!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 4-inch piece fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 celery sticks, chopped
- Salt, black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup white wine
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- Heat up a casserole or soup pot, put the butter in and allow it to melt.
- Once butter is melted, immediately sauté onions and ginger until translucent.
- Add the carrots, celery, and ginger. Add a pinch of salt and mix.
- Add flour and continue sautéing.
- Pour in the white wine and reduce in half.
- Add the vegetable stock and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Transfer into an electric blender and puree the soup until smooth. Transfer back to the pot using a sieve to strain the remaining solids.
- Put back to a medium heat and continue simmering. Add the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, transfer into a soup cup and sprinkle chives for garnish.
In simple vegetarian soup recipes, like mushroom cream soup, or cream of pumpkin soup, they sometimes call for chicken stock. To make it vegetarian, simply substitute vegetable stock to chicken broth.
Pouring in the wine and reducing it in half is the process of deglazing and reducing. We do that to get the flavor from the pan drippings to the food while removing the alcohol content that makes the food acidic, hence, leaving just the sweet taste of the wine in the dish.
Article Source: Articlesbase.com