For many cleaning jobs you need to look no further than your kitchen cupboards. If you've got a box of baking soda, a bottle of vinegar and a lemon, you've got what you need to clean most of your house.
Baking soda is nontoxic, earth-friendly, multi-purpose and cheap. A few ideas to keep your home baking soda fresh include:
* Sprinkle onto carpets and rugs, let sit for 15 minutes then vacuum away dirt and odors.
* Add 1/4 cup to a load of laundry to help remove grease and freshen clothes.
* Sprinkle in the sink and bathtub, make a paste with water and use as a safe, gentle scouring powder.
* Spill some grease during cooking? Put a bit of baking soda on the mess, rub with a dry cloth and rinse with water.
* Buy in bulk.
White distilled vinegar kills mold, bacteria and germs and is a great way to avoid using harsh chemicals.
* Before you step in the shower and turn on the water, spray the shower door with full-strength vinegar to help ensure hard water deposits won't stick to glass.
* Clean grout by letting full-strength vinegar sit on it for a few minutes then scrub with an old toothbrush.
* Clean your drain safely using 1 cup baking soda and 1 cup hot vinegar. Pour both down the drain, let foam for five minutes and flush with hot water.
* Clean your microwave by bringing 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup water to a boil inside (remember to use a microwave safe bowl). Anything inside will just wipe clean.
The acid in lemon juice makes a great (and good smelling) bleach alternative.
* Remove stains from a countertop by allowing lemon juice to sit on the stain for five minutes. Scrub with baking soda and watch the stain disappear.
* Stain on a white T-shirt? Squeeze some lemon juice onto the stain, let the garment dry in the sun and the stain will be bleached away.
* Add a few lemon peels to the garbage disposal and run it with hot water for the freshest smelling drain you've ever had.
For jobs where you need to purchase cleaning products, like dish washing detergent, look for products that are safe for your family and the planet.
Wave 2X Ultra High Performance Auto Dishwashing Gel is plant-based, which means it's safe and is the only product free of 1.4 dioxane, caustics, chlorine and the phosphates which have been banned in six states. In an independent consumer test, Wave performed just as well as the leading chemical-based brand. It's concentrated, so you use half as much as other dishwashing liquids and also includes a built-in rinse aid eliminating the need for an additional product. For more information visit www.ecos.com.
With a little ingenuity, consideration for the planet and a bit of elbow grease, it's possible to save a great deal of money and get rid of the other types of grease that invade your home.
Courtesy of ARAcontent