Dark circles are formed under the eyes. They are dark blemishes that surround the eyes and thus spoil the appearance of the face. They are also known as eye circles and are sometimes referred to in slang as bags under the eyes.
There are many reasons why dark circles may occur. Knowing these reasons will help to avoid them and thus get protection from these ungainly blemishes on the face. These causes are:
1. Lack of sleep
2. Extreme tiredness
3. Improper diet and nutrition
5. Hormonal problems
6. Advancing age
7. Hyper-pigmentation of the skin
8. Exposure to heat and sunlight
9. Excessive intake of some drugs
Dark circles are caused due to vitiation in the vata and the pitta doshas. These are the elements governing the air and the fire elements in the human body respectively. It has been found that yoga is very beneficial in reducing dark circles. Pranayama and shavasana help the mind to de-stress. Such asanas are prescribed for people with dark circles.
Once the dark circles have appeared, it is very difficult to get rid of them. There are many cosmetic creams in the market that claim to eliminate dark circles, but dark circles can be only removed by a healthy lifestyle. There are some ways in which dark circles can be reduced. These methods are mentioned in this article.
Useful Herbs/Plants in the Treatment of Dark Circles
1. Apple (Malus domestica)
Apples contain tannin which helps in reducing dark circles. In addition, apples also contain potassium and the water soluble vitamins B and C which can replenish the lost nutrients in the skin under the eyes.
2. Cucumber (Cucumis sativus)
The cucumber is a very cool vegetable. For this reason it is used widely as a treatment for eye circles. The cool juices of the cucumber help the eyes to de-stress, which makes the dark circles disappear within a few days.
3. Potato (Solanum tuberosum)
The starchy content of the potatoes helps in the treatment of dark circles. Both the peel and thin slices of the potato can be placed over the eyes to get good results.
4. Rose (Rosa cordifolia)
No other treatment for dark circles is as common as the extract of rose petals, known as rose water or gulaab jal. Rose water soothes the eyes and removes their redness. It also rejuvenates the skin around the eyes. This reduces the eye circles. Rose water can completely eliminate the dark circles if used persistently for a few weeks.
Dietary Treatments for Dark Circles
Keep your diet very healthy if you want to get rid of your dark circles. Many Ayurvedic doctors would agree that the first treatment of dark circles begins with correcting the diet. The diet must not be too dry. Use lots of water in the preparation of dishes in the form of gravies, daals, soups, etc. Cook your food in a little fat to reduce the vata vitiation. Drink lot of water throughout the day. Also consume fresh fruits that have high water contents.
1. Cucumber is very beneficial in reducing dark circles due to its cooling effects. Cut thin slices of cucumber and place them directly over the eyes. Keep them for about fifteen minutes. Do this every night before going to bed. It will give a restful sleep and will reduce the dark circles in the morning. Cucumber slices are very beneficial when the dark circles are caused due to stress.
2. Another simple method is to dip cotton pieces in water and place them over the eye. Here water is the treating agent. Its coolness soothes the eyes. A better effect can be achieved by using rose water instead of simple water.
3. The peel of a potato can also be placed on the eye. Do this every night before going to sleep. Since potato peels can attach better to the eyelids, this method is preferable over cucumber slices.
4. Almond oil massage is beneficial in case you are suffering from dark circles. Ideally, the massage must be done at night time, and the eyes must not be opened after that until morning. So, this must be done when going to bed.
5. Prepare a paste of nutmeg in milk. Apply this on and around the eyelids before going to bed.
6. You can even put used tea bags around the eyes to get good results. The alkaloids in the tea help to renew the skin around the eyes.
The most important thing to remember is that you must not stress your eyes too much. This is a sure way of getting dark circles. Even when you are working throughout the day, take some time out (even ten minutes will do) to wash your eyes with cool water and then keep them shut. Do not think about any stressful thoughts when your eyes are shut. Divert your mind in thinking about beautiful things in nature. When you open your eyes after the ten minutes are over, you will feel as refreshed as though you have had a siesta.
Read more on home remedies for dark under eye circles by Ayurveda at http://www.ayushveda.com
Read more about Ayurveda at World's Largest Portal on Ayurveda and Ayurvedic Remedies: Ayushveda.com - The Free Ayurvedic Encyclopedia
Article Source: Article-Buzz