Dried apple slices make for a great, healthy snack and can also be used in wreaths or added to potpourri to add fragrance. Dried apple slices can also be frozen for later use.
Ideally you would want to dry your apple slices using a dehydrator but you can also use your oven if you do not have a dehydrator.
You Will Need:
* Ripe, firm apples
* Large pot if you prefer to peel your apples first
* Airtight container or plastic bags
* Food dehydrator or oven
When selecting your apples make certain that there are no rotten or bruised parts on the apples. Depending on your taste, you can choose whichever variety of apples you prefer.
Most apples bought from your grocery store have been treated with some form of pesticide. It is therefore important that you wash and dry your apples before peeling and/or cutting them.
If you were unable to find perfect apples, cut out soft spots and bruises found on your apples.
This step is optional and only if you prefer your apple slices to be peeled. If not, skip this step and go to step 5.
An electric peeler is ideal for this job as it will peel, core and slice up your apples for you.
Cut your cored apples into 1/8 inch thick rings.
Now it is time to dry your apple slices. You have three choices when doing this and below are directions for each option.
* Using a Food Dehydrator: This is by far the easiest (and fastest) way to dry your apple slices. Simply line your pieces in a single layer on the racks allowing air to circulate. You can now sprinkle a bit of cinnamon or allspice over your apple pieces should you prefer. Set you dehydrator to 105 degrees Fahrenheit and you will have perfectly dried apple slices within 12 to 24 hours.
* Using Your Oven: Preheat your oven to the lowest temperature possible and arrange the apple slices on a baking tray ensuring that the apple pieces do not touch. It should take about 10 to 20 hours for your apple pieces to dry in the oven. You will need to check them from time to time. You can speed up the process by turning your oven a little higher but then you will need to keep a close eye on your apple pieces.
* Using Your Car: Strange as it might sound, your sun-baked car is ideal for drying apple pieces. Once again using cookie trays arrange your apples in a single layer and cover them loosely with cheesecloth. Park your car in a sunny spot, roll up the windows and place the trays on the dashboard. It could take up to two days, but your apple pieces will dry perfectly. Just be cautious, because your car will smell like apples for quite awhile!
Using Your Dried Apple Slices
* You can rehydrate your apple slices by placing them in boiling water for about 5 minutes.
* Dried apple slices can be used with other dried fruits to be used as snacks or mixed with granola.
* Use them in apple pie.
* Use them as turkey dressing by mixing them by simmering and mixing them with nutmeg or cinnamon.
There are many easy ways to create healthy eating habits, and you will notice a big difference in how you feel! Visit our website to learn more information about how to use easy tricks to improve your everyday eating habits: http://EverydayHealthGirl.com
Photo. Leslie Seaton
Article Source: EzineArticles.com