Weather can be dangerous and unpredictable, especially here in Florida. There is always a lot of talk come hurricane season about protecting your home. If you have a barn and especially if you are housing animals, you will want to take special precautions.
Before a storm is imminent, you should prepare your barn and property. The more prepared you are, the less you will have to deal with devastating damage to your barn and animals.
Walk your property. Look for anything that needs to be removed, replaced or repaired. Flying debris can do damage to your barn and animals.
- Remove loose boards, fence posts and wire.
- Nail or replace any loose or missing boards.
- Secure any loose roofing. Roofing should not be made of individual shingles but rather something that comes in big sheets.
- Hire a tree surgeon to inspect trees on your property. Get rid of dead trees and trim back limbs that could pose a danger to your barn.
When you are aware that a storm is approaching, there are additional steps you can take to protect your barn and your animals.
- Conduct another inspection of your property to make sure there are no loose boards, roofing or fencing.
- Strap down your barn with ground ties as you would strap down a mobile home.
- Store all loose items in a secure area.
- Any loose items in barn aisles should also be put away.
- Secure all vehicles, tractors, etc. with tie downs or store them if possible.
- Secure all gates.
- Do not keep animals in a barn in case of collapse. All large animals should be turned out. At least they will have a fighting chance.
When turning out large animals for a storm, make sure they are in a safe area without any loose items around that could become flying debris. Animals should be in a large open area free from electrical wires and loose barbed wire fencing. Keep all barn doors closed and open all inner gates within the pasture housing your animals.
If you plan ahead and take the proper steps to prepare your barn and property you may be able to avoid some of the devastating effects of wind and Florida storms.
Disaster Restoration Specialists, Inc. is a licensed general contractor that provides professional restoration services in the following areas: Water damage restoration, Fire damage restoration, Wind damage restoration, Mold damage remediation. For years, we have worked with a wide variety of homeowners, business owners, and insurance companies. We take pride in getting our customers back to life. http://www.waterfiremoldtampa.com
Article Source: articlesbase.com