Potatoes are not only an excellent source of nutrition and easy addition to any meal; they are also known to be a centerpiece in certain folk remedies and skin treatments.
Next time you're enjoying your "home spa," incorporate potatoes into a compress to help alleviate dark or puffy circles under your eyes. Or, use potatoes to help absorb excess oil in your face.
Compress: Cut or grate a potato and put the potato in gauze. Leave the compress on for 30 minutes while lying down.
Mask: Apply a grated raw potato as a mask by rubbing the potato on your skin. Leave the mask on for 30 minutes and then rinse off with water and vinegar.
Cleanser: In a blender, combine 1/4 cup chopped cucumber (do not peel) and 1/8 cup chopped potato (do not peel) at medium speed for 20 seconds. Add 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 whole egg and 1/4 cup plain yogurt; blend on low for one minute. Moisten face with warm water and apply cleanser with a washcloth in circular motions. Rinse clean with warm water.
Potatoes have been used for centuries in various folk remedies as well. Try using potatoes to:
- Treat facial blemishes by washing your face daily with cool potato juice.
- Treat frostbite or sunburn by applying raw grated potato or potato juice to the affected area.
- Help a toothache by carrying a potato in your pocket.
- Ease a sore throat by putting a slice of baked potato in a stocking and tying it around your throat.
- Ease aches and pains by rubbing the affected area with the water potatoes have been boiled in.
With over a 150 potato recipes, nutrition information, trend updates and educational lesson plans, potatohelp.com is the ultimate resource for families and culinary professionals alike.
"Find more great potato recipes at potatohelp.com!"
Photo Credit: Max Straeten