Natural Allergy Remedies?
So you suffer from the misery of allergies, I know the feeling. I have suffered from allergies for over 40 years and I know how debilitating they can be. I wanted to understand what allergies are, and how I could reduce or even eliminate the symptoms naturally.
What are allergies?
The stuffy nose, cough, swelling and itchy watery eyes you suffer from are caused by the release of histamine in your body. When a small particle such as dust, pet hair, or pollen enters your body, your immune system reacts as if it is a foreign invader and releases histamine. It is the histamine that causes the swelling and runny nose. You can take an anti-histamine to counteract the effects of histamine on your body and therefore reduce the swelling, runny nose and itchy eyes. For some people, taking antihistamines make them drowsy and unable to drive or concentrate at work. Never fear, below I have listed tried and true natural remedies for not only relieving but reducing the severity and duration of future allergy attacks.
Short Term Relief
* If you are looking for relief from sinus congestion, aromatherapists suggest using one drop of cypress oil and 1 drop of hyssop oil, combine these oils and place under your tongue every 3 - 4 hours. You can also mix 1 drop lavender essential oil and your favorite carrier oil. Rub it on either side of your nose to relieve congestion.
* 500 milligrams of Vitamin C taken 3 times a day, combined with citrus bioflavonoids acts as a natural anti-histamine. It also has anti-inflammatory benefits.
* 500 milligrams of Vitamin B5 taken daily along with 50 milligrams of a b-complex vitamin, has been shown to relieve allergy symptoms.
* If you have a cough, a natural cough remedy called Sitopaladi, which is made by combining different herbs then mixing them with a little honey, taken after meals it's an excellent cough suppressant.
Sitopaladi is made with:
Bambusa arundinacea (Spiny bamboo, Thorny bamboo, Tziu chu, Kalak)
Long Pepper (Piper longum)
Cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum)
Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum)
Long Term Relief
* Eating LOCAL honey is one of the oldest remedies. Grandmothers used to say that since the bees use the local foliage to produce the honey, eating it helps to build up your immune system by introducing tiny amounts of pollen to your system. It is important to use local honey as it is produced using flowers from around where you live.
Some of these remedies will not only relieve your symptoms, they will make your immune system stronger. Remember that if your symptoms are new and include hives or wheezing, or you experience difficulty in breathing, seek medical attention immediately.
Pioneerthinking.com - Ingredients for a Simple Life
Photo Credit: David Castillo Dominici | Freedigitalphotos.net