This menu has been included to show you how easy menu planning is. Of course your menu would be different from this one as it would be planned according to your family's taste and needs.
Menu Planning Hints Used:
- Left overs from Sunday's Chuck roast are used to make sandwiches for Monday noon.
- Baked beans, pea soup, eggs and peanut butter are used to keep meat costs down.
- Chicken left over from Wednesday evening makes a delicious stir-fried dish on Thursday.
- Some seasonal fresh fruits and vegetables are a bargain at certain times of the year. At other times, frozen or canned are cheaper.
- This menu would be good for a week when the newspaper advertises roasting chickens and ground beef are "On sale".
Breakfast - Fresh fruit in season, Scrambled egg, Wholegrain toast, Milk
Lunch - Vegetable soup, Salmon sandwich, Orange, Milk
Supper - Chuck pot roast*, Roast potatoes, Carrots, Wholegrain bread, Chocolate pudding
Snack - Toast, Apple
Breakfast: Apple juice, Cold whole grain cereal with milk, Toast
Lunch: Beef sandwich, Coleslaw, Fresh fruit in season
Supper: Baked beans, Tomato slices, Whole wheat bread, Pears with vanilla pudding
Snack: Whole grain crackers, Apple
Breakfast: ½ grapefruit, Wholegrain toast , Cheddar cheese
Lunch: Tomato soup, Peanut butter and banana on toast, Milk
Supper: Meat loaf, Cabbage, Mashed potatoes, Wholegrain bread, Apple Crisp
Snack: Cereal and Milk
Breakfast: Orange juice, Hot oatmeal made with milk, Wholegrain toast
Lunch: Split pea soup, Wholegrain bread, Carrot sticks, Milk
Supper: Roast Chicken*, Baked potatoes, Green beans, Whole wheat bread, Yogurt
Snack: Crackers, Applesauce
Breakfast: Fresh fruit in season, Peanut butter on wholegrain toast, Milk
Lunch: Macaroni & cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, Apple juice
Supper: Stir fried chicken & vegetables, Rice, Oatmeal cookies, Fresh fruit in season
Snack: Cereal and milk
Breakfast: Orange, Boiled egg, Wholegrain toast, Milk
Lunch: Tuna casserole, Carrot sticks, Banana, Milk
Supper: Spaghetti with meat and tomato sauce, Whole wheat bread, Canned pineapple
Snack: Cheese and crackers
Breakfast: Orange juice, Cold whole grain cereal with milk, Peanut butter on Toast
Lunch: Vegetable omelet, Wholegrain bread, Canned peaches, Milk
Supper: Take out pizza, Tossed salad, Frozen yogurt
Snack: Apple and sunflower seeds
Produced by Public Health Nutritionists, Ottawa-Carleton Health Department.