When you first glimpse a solid hardwood floor, you sense richness, warmth and natural beauty. Gradually, you get to know its distinct personality and to enjoy its unique visual harmonies offering a glimpse into the traces of its natural history in the forest as it is brought into your home.
After your hardwood flooring is installed, simple steps can be taken to maintain its beautiful appearance. Tips for hardwood floor care are listed below.
1. Pick up a broom you like, you will use it often.
2. Consider an angled broom or one designed specifically for indoor use (FULLER Angle Broom or FULLER Household Broom)
3. You will also need a dustpan. Choose one that is easy to use and doesn't cause too much stress on your back. (FULLER Upright Dustpan)
4. Sweep often, daily if needed.
5. Canister vacuums with special bare floor attachments are the surest way to get rid of all the dirt and dust.
6. Rugs should be used to cover high-traffic areas.
7. Enact a no-shoe policy to reduce dirt being tracked in.
8. Keep windows and doors closed during windy or dusty days.
9. Create a no-beverage rule to cut down on wet spills.
10. Mop up wet spills as soon as possible.
11. Consider purchasing either a spatter mop or sponge mop (FULLER Spatter Mop or a FULLER Sponge Mop)
12. Never wet mop any hardwood floor. Standing water can damage the wood.
13. Regularly clean wood floor with hardwood flooring cleaners (FULLER Wood Floor Cleaner & Polish)
14. Never use oil based soap on unfinished or unsealed hardwood floors.
15. Install floor protectors on furniture legs to prevent scratches.
16. Lift furniture to move it.
17. Never drag furniture across the floor.
18. Avoid cleats, stiletto heals or any footwear in need of repair.
19. Maintain proper humidity levels within your home if at all possible.
20. Move rugs periodically if area is exposed to regular sunlight (to avoid discoloring of the floor underneath).
21. Use a specialized cleaner (FULLER Wood Floor Easy Clean Mist) and steel wool to clean water marks, heel marks, cigarette burns, ink stains and dark spots.
22. To remove chewing gum and wax, apply a zipper-sealed bag filled with ice for 20 minutes, then break off deposits. Follow-up wood cleaner (FULLER Wood Floor Easy Clean Mist) and steel wool treatment.
23. Keep shades or blinds closed as often as possible to avoid discoloration.
24. Apply liquid wax, powdered soap, talcum powder or powdered graphite between floor boards that are rubbing together to stop squeaks.
25. Difficult squeaks may require that you drive two-inch finishing nails through pilot holes on both edges of the board then hide the hole with matching color putty or wax.
26. Alcohol drips can be removed by rubbing the spot with liquid or paste wax.
27. Polish your floor as the finish looks dull with a polisher, like the D.C. Polisher.
28. Small scratches can be spot sanded, stained and refinished. Larger scratches may need more extensive re-work.
29. Never use ammonia to clean hardwood floors.
30. If your hardwood floor looks old and you cannot restore the luster with deep cleaning or by polishing, you may want to apply a maintenance coat.
Author Vincent Platania represents the Stanley Home Products. Stanley Home Products has been in business since 1936, and offers high quality home and personal care products to keep your home and your body clean. Visit http://www.stanleyhomecare.com
Photo Credit: Artur84