When comes to camping outdoors, much like everything else, there are always some great tips and camping hacks that can make the trip a bit easier, if not also down right more fun. We have taken the opportunity to scour the best hacks out there and have narrowed it down to a top 10 list that even David Letterman would be proud of. So, without any further ado, below you will find our best of the best.
Camping Hacks Top 10 List
As a disclaimer, we are aware that there are far more that simply 10 top ideas or hacks out there. The fact is we could list over 100 if we were so inclined, but felt that we needed to keep the list short and sweet. That said, we are open to any comments or suggestions should you feel that something should have made it into our list.
Drum Roll Please…
10. Instead of bring plates for eating, use your flying saucer instead. It works great and due to it being plastic will clean up nicely. Of course, after words you also go out and play. Better yet, you can use it as a place to set your phone or other devices in it so it won’t get wet from the bottom of the tent. Who knew there were so many uses for such a basic toy.
9. When starting a campfire, a great camping hack is to use hand sanitizer as a form of starter or lighter fluid. Typically, this is an item you would carry regardless when camping, so being able to multi- purpose is an efficient way to save space.
8. You know those plastic tags that hold your bread bags closed? Well, those are actually perfect for hanging clothes on a line when want to dry them out. So, start saving them now or even ask some friends and relatives to do the same for you. Having a few dozen will not take any space and come in very handy.
7. Ever wished you had room to carry a tripod camping with you, so you could take the perfect picture? Well by using your hiking poles and a random stick you find around camp you can. Simply take some small rope and tie the three together. Then you can simply clip your camera or Go Pro with its clamp and voila.
6. For that perfect pillow, be sure to carry a draw string nylon bag that you can fill with clothes. This not only protects your clothing, make for a great pillow. If you have too many clothes, place some in the foot of your sleeping bags. This will also help keep your feet extra cozy and warm. Hey- It’s a twofer!
5. Need some additional light in your tent during the evening? Take your headlamp and place it facing in a clear water bottle. This will cause the light to become more ambient and create more light in your space. No need to worry about carrying lanterns or over sized flashlights.
4. You know all those silica gel packs you find in just about everything that gets packed? Well, be sure to start saving them instead of throwing them right away. The reason they are packed on the first place, is to keep moisture out of things like electronics. By keeping these and using them to place in your metal cookware, you can avoid them from becoming rusty during your trip.
3. When it comes to shoes, it is important that they stay as dry as possible. This camping hack is great as it can help even when you have those wet shoes or boots. Simply take the soles out and stuff the shoes with dry cotton t-shirts. I prefer using dirty ones, just to avid feet smell on my clothes, but that’s your call. If you don’t have any shirts to spare, then a newspaper will also do the trick.
2. We have all had a grommet break on us at the most inopportune time. Well, here is a way to fix that without any problem. Simply take a small smooth rock from your campsite and place it under the tarp or tent as close to where the grommet should be. Tie a small rope around the outside of the material and use the other end of the rope to stake it down. Easy Peasy!
1. And the number one camping hack is… Plastic straw spice holders. That’s right, take some plastic straws and cut them down into about 2″ sections. Using a lit candle, seal one end by placing the end of the straw near the flame. Once the end is sealed, fill the other end with your favorite cooking spices. Once filled, seal the other end using the candle flame. Be sure to label the spice or use various colored straws to specify what the spice is. When ready to use simply cut one end and pour. This is really genius as well as practical.
Now It’s Your Turn
So, there you have it. Our Top 10 Camping Hacks. As I stated earlier, I am sure there is much debate to be had on this subject, so please feel free to comment and provide your thoughts and feedback. In the meantime, however, we hope that you not only enjoyed this list but will find it very useful on your next big camping and hiking adventure.
Steve Sanders is an avid camper with more than 20 years of camping experience.
Photo. Studio 7042