Use fresh shrooms:
In this typical Chinese dish, you need to make sure that you use fresh shitake mushrooms. You can find them in some grocery stores and Asian markets. The five-spice powder and hoisin sauce are common ingredients found in most grocery stores.
Chinese Pork and Mushroom Stew
- 2 pounds – boneless pork shoulder make sure you trim the fat away, cut into inch-sized cubes.
- 2 teaspoons – five spice powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons – extra virgin olive oil or sesame seed oil
- 1 pound – fresh shitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup – chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups – green onions chopped
- 3 tablespoons – hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon – soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon – fresh ginger chopped
- 1 – green pepper chopped
- 3 tablespoons – all purpose flour
- 1 pound – linguine or spaghetti noodles (use Chinese egg noodles if you can find them)
Place the pork, five-spice powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix. Place the oil in a heavy frying pan over medium-high heat and add the pork mixture. Sauté until the pork browns, about 20 minutes. Add the mushrooms, broth, 1 cup green onions, hoisin, soy sauce, ginger, and green pepper and bring to boil. Make sure you scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat after the liquid begins to boil to medium-low and cover. Cook for 45 minutes, periodically stirring.
The stew just before the flour is added.
Remove the cover, add the flour, and cook until sauce starts to thicken, about 10 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the noodles in salted boiling water, drain, and serve with the stew spooned over the noodles. Distribute the remaining ½ cup green onions over each dish.
The stew after the flour has been added.
The stew on the noodles and sprinkled with green onions.
Jack Botticelli – You can read more Delicious recipes here
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com