Coconut oil is a versatile oil that has cooking and cosmetic applications. Keep a jar in both your kitchen and your bathroom to take advantage of its versatility.
1. Replace shortening in recipes. Most of us have heard of the detrimental health effects of shortening, but so many older recipes call for it. Replace shortening with this tropical oil one-to-one. In the summer if your kitchen is warm, your coconut oil may be liquid and may need to be cooled to a solid state to replace shortening in your recipes.
2. Moisturize your skin. Say goodbye to seasonal dry skin by rubbing this tropical oil into dry skin areas. This oil will sink in quickly without leaving an oily residue making it a good moisturizing choice.
3. Use it to saute your food. Corn oil and other vegetable oils are high in Omega 6 fatty acids, an unhealthy fat. Use coconut oil instead of these vegetable oils in your sauteing.
4. Apply it to your dry scalp. In the hours before your bath or shower, rub this tropical oil into dry areas of your scalp. Massage it in. Let the oil sit and was it out of your hair with your regular shampoo regimen.
5. Add it to a smoothie. If you smoothie needs more fat, the slight flavor of coconut in many oils is a nice complement to a fruit-based smoothie.
6. Wash your face. Rub coconut oil into your wet skin and let it sit. Use a wet cloth to wipe off excess oil and grime.
7. Remove your eye makeup. Using a similar technique as you will in washing your face, remove your eye makeup. Take care not to get the oil in your eyes — it will burn slightly and turn your eyes a bit red.
8. Use it on a baby’s bottom. Coconut oil is gentle on a baby’s bottom and will help protect the baby from redness and discomfort.
9. Add oil to your dry hair. Just as it moisturizes your skin, it can provide deep moisturizing to your hair. Massage the oil into your hair and let it sit. Wash your hair to remove the remaining oily residue.
10. Use as a lip oil. Massage the oil into your lips to replace some of the moisture that has been lost. Follow it with a bee’s wax lip product that will help keep the moisturize on your lips from evaporating.
You may find this versatile oil in your local health food store but you may pay upwards of $10 per pint. For best savings, buy coconut oil in bulk by the gallon or five gallon container. It is widely available on the Internet produced using various types of coconut oil processing techniques.
Alexander V. Martin