As the temperatures dip outside, find warmth in the kitchen with simple meals that taste great and keep you energized. Here are two cozy recipes that feature nourishing and comforting ingredients like rice, for long-lasting energy that won’t weigh you down.
French Onion Rice Bake
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
Serves: 4 – 6
- 7 cups (1.75 litres) sliced Spanish onions (about 6 medium)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) each salt and pepper
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) U.S. long-grain brown rice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped thyme
- ½ cup (125 ml) cooking sherry
- 3 cups (750 ml) beef broth
- 2 cups (500 ml) shredded Emmental (Swiss) cheese
- Coarsely chopped parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a large, ovenproof skillet, cook onions with butter, garlic, bay leaves and salt and pepper over medium heat until golden brown and caramelized. Stir in rice and thyme; deglaze pan with sherry and cook for 1 minute. Stir in broth and bring to a simmer; cover tightly with foil.
- Bake in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until rice is cooked. Uncover and sprinkle evenly with cheese; return to oven and broil for 2 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Garnish with chopped parsley to serve.
Chicken and Rice Alfredo
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 55-60 minutes
- 1 cup (250 ml) U.S. long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1¾ cups (415 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt or to taste, divided use
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, about 1 pound total
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup (240 ml) prepared Alfredo sauce
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Combine rice, water, oil and ½ teaspoon of the salt in an 8-inch by 8-inch (or 1 1/2-quart) baking dish. Stir gently until well blended.
- Place chicken pieces on top of rice mixture and sprinkle evenly with oregano, garlic powder, black pepper, and remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Cover tightly and bake 50 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed.
- Remove from oven, spoon or pour Alfredo sauce evenly, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and peas. Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through.
Find more delicious recipes at riceinfo.com/inforiz.com