Sterility is the condition in which the person is totally biologically incapable to produce children. It is also known as infertility. Sterility is always spoken of as the problem of a couple rather than of an individual. The problem can be of either the male or the female partner, so in general, we say that the couple suffers from sterility. One of the preliminary steps in treating infertility is to determine whether the problem lies with the male or the female partner.
There are two types of sterility or infertility seen in people. The first type is known as primary sterility. This is when the couple has never conceived a child. The second type, known as secondary sterility occurs when the couple has conceived a child, but has had a miscarriage. Primary sterility can be due to the male or the female partner; but secondary sterility is only due to problems with the woman’s reproductive system.
Dietary Guidelines for the Treatment of Sterility
Sometimes the problem is with the food habits of the person. The following dietary guidelines must be obeyed by men and women who are unable to bear children.
– All milk products are found to be very good for bearing children. Drinking on glass of pure milk before the sexual activity always helps. This is found to be more effective in the male. This explains the Indian tradition of the bride giving the groom a glassful of milk on the first wedding night.
– Males suffering from sterility must not consume more of saline, sour, pungent and bitter foods. Foods that are sweet and astringent in taste are good. Sweet dishes prepared in milk are the best.
– Females suffering from sterility must avoid alkaline and pungent foods. Instead, they must take sweet foods and fruits in large quantities.
– Eggs are very good for promoting conception in both men and women.
– Rice is better than wheat for sterile couples. Women who are not able to conceive must be given an all-rice diet.
– Ghee is the only acceptable fat for sterile couples.
– Honey is considered to be good. It is also effective in several problems of the reproductive system in both men and women.
– Nuts are very good for men who have a low sperm count. Groundnuts and almonds top the list.
– People who have sterility problems must never keep their stomachs empty for a long period of time.
Ayurvedic Treatments for Sterility
For Sterile Women
Bala is the herb which is mostly prescribed for sterile women. Externally, it is used as a douche. For this purpose, its root is boiled in oil and milk and then used with lukewarm water. Internally, it is used in the form of medicated oil taken along with milk.
Phala ghrita is also very commonly prescribed. This is given in doses of two teaspoons twice daily when the stomach is empty. Milk is the vehicle used for phala ghrita. Other medicines used are Vanga bhasma and Shilajit. Shilajit is very well-known for its aphrodisiacal properties in both men and women. The dosage of Shilajit is also one teaspoon twice a day.
For Sterile Men
The root of the Ashwagandha plant is most important for the treatment of sterility in men. Its root is dried to kill its smell of horse urine, then powdered and taken in a cup of milk. The ratio is one teaspoon of Ashwagandha powder in one cup of milk. It is to be taken twice every day. Sugar can be mixed in it. Some Ayurvedic doctors also use Ashwagandharishta, which is a preparation of Ashwagandha in alcohol.
Makardhwaja is another important medicine. Makardhwaja is prepared by mixing gold, mercury and sulfur in a careful proportion. It is given in quantities of 125 milligrams twice daily on an empty stomach. The vehicle used is butter and sugar can be added for flavoring it.
Home Remedies for Sterility
– Grind the aerial root of a banyan tree to a fine powder. Collect about 10 grams of this powder. Put this powder in half a liter of milk and boil it. When about 200 milliliters are left, remove it from the flame and strain it. Mix sugar and honey in it. The woman must have this everyday from the fifth or seventh day of the commencement of the periods. Continue having this milk daily for ten days hence. This is considered to be the most effective remedy to make infertile women conceive.
– For women who are keeping normal health, but are still unable to conceive, the following remedy is found to work. Mix Shatavari choorna in ghee or milk and drink it on a daily basis before retiring for the day. This solves all the problems of the reproductive system and also makes it possible for the women to conceive.
– After every meal, the woman must take an areca nut (supari). This is effective in increasing fertility.
– Sterile couples must not overindulge in sexual activity. Restraint must be had, as it will improve the quality of the male sperm.
– Obesity is one of the leading causes of sterility. Hence, enrolling yourself in a weight-loss program will also help to bear children.
Read More on Treatments by Ayurveda and Home Remedies at http://www.ayushveda.com
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com
Photo Credit: dmscs