The right type of whole grains can be a great addition to your diet. Mixed with other foods, such as beans, they give you a complete protein. Protein helps build muscle and muscle helps burn fat. Grains are also a good source of fiber which can help prevent many health problems.
Following is a list of 5 super grains:
1. Amaranth – Among grains Amaranth is one of the highest in fiber content so it can help prevent some forms of cancer. It is a good source of calcium, magnesium, iron, and manganese. Amaranth is low in saturated fat and low in cholesterol. It is a very high quality protein, especially high in the amino acid lysine which is lacking in many other grains.
2. Barley – Barley is high in fiber which has been shown to decrease the risk of colon cancer and helps to lower cholesterol. It is a good source of selenium which can also help reduce the risk of colon cancer. Barley has good amounts of copper, manganese, tryptophan, and phosphorus.
3. Buckwheat – While thought of as a grain buckwheat is actually a seed. It is a low glycemic food so it helps reduce blood sugar levels thus helping to prevent obesity. It has more protein than wheat, corn, or rice. Buckwheat is rich in flavonoids which can help to reduce cholesterol. Buckwheat is high in polyphenols which help support the circulatory system and help reduce high blood pressure.
4. Quinoa – Quinoa is usually listed as a grain but, like buckwheat, is a seed. It is lower in sodium content and higher in calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, iron, copper, manganese, and zinc than wheat, barley, or corn. Quinoa is a complete high quality protein (has all 8 essential amino acids). In fact, The World Health Organization rates the quality of the protein in quinoa to be at least equivalent to that in milk. It is gluten-free, low glycemic, and high in fiber. It can be used as a substitute for any grain.
5. Rye – Rye is a good source of fiber, especially insoluble fiber, which can help women prevent gallstones. Its high fiber content also gives a feeling of satiety so it can be an aid in weight loss. One other benefit of the fiber found in whole grains such as rye is that a high fiber diet can help prevent colon cancer. One study found that bread made from rye caused less of an insulin response than bread made from wheat thus reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes. Rye is a good source of manganese, selenium, magnesium, and protein.
Whole grains offer many health benefits. By making grains a part of your daily diet you will be increasing your fiber intake, increasing high quality protein intake, and decreasing your risk for many future health problems.
To find more good foods to add to your diet go to 2getweightlosstips.blogspot.com
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com
Article Posted: April 24 2012