If you are in the mood to make ice cream with your ice cream maker, these three easy strawberry ice cream recipes can make a nice summer treat. Each are different, so you have options depending on the ingredients you have at home.
Recipe #1 – Non-Dairy Strawberry
- 2 teaspoons kosher gelatin
- 1/4 cup apple-strawberry juice
- 2/3 cup all-fruit strawberry jam
- 3 cups vanilla soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over apple juice. Let sit, stirring occasionally, until gelatin is dissolved and softened, about 10 minutes.
2. In a medium saucepan, whisk together jam and 2 cups soy milk. Cook until just hot, stirring frequently; remove from heat. Add softened gelatin to hot milk mixture, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in remaining soy milk and vanilla; let cool, cover, and refrigerate until very well-chilled.
3. Spoon chilled mixture into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.
Makes about 1 quart.
Recipe #2 – Old-Fashioned Strawberry
- 1 pt Strawberries
- 1 c Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 c Half and half
- 1 t Vanilla
- 3 c Heavy cream
Hull the berries and cut the larger ones in half. Place the berries in a double boiler and add 1/2 cup sugar. Heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is very soft. Puree the fruit in a blender. Transfer puree to a bowl and cool in the refrigerator.
Put the egg, half and half, remaining sugar and vanilla extract in the blender and blend on medium speed till mixture is smooth and the sugar is dissolved. Slowly add the cream and continue blending on low speed for 30 seconds. Transfer the mixture to your ice cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
When the ice cream is about half frozen, add the strawberry puree to the mixture. Continue freezing. Makes slightly more than 1 quart.
Recipe #3 – Strawberry Sorbet
You might make extra purée and use it as a sauce under the sorbet. A fresh mint spring makes a pretty garnish.
- 2 pints strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Purée the strawberries in a food processor. You should have about 3 cups. Stir in 1 cup of the simple syrup and the lemon juice. Taste and add remaining syrup if necessary. Pour the mixture into the bowl of the machine and freeze.
Makes about 3 1/2 cups.
Kara Kelso is the mother of two, and owner of http://www.Idea-Queen.com . For more quick and easy recipes, visit:http://www.idea-queen.com/recipes-for-mom.html