The popular brunch staple gets a holiday appetizer makeover in this phyllo-crusted pocket version. The avocado toast is a delicious combo of creamy avocado, fresh tomato, onion and tart lime, and is beautifully paired with a cilantro-sour cream for dipping. Serves eight for less than $0.70 each.
Avocado Toast Pockets
- 2 avocados (diced)
- 1 plum tomato (seeded and diced)
- 1/2 cup 125 mL frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup 60 mL minced red onion
- 2 tbsp. 30 mL lime juice, divided
- 2 tsp 10 mL chili powder
- 1 garlic clove (grated and divided)
- 1/2 tsp 2 mL salt, divided
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 tbsp. 30 mL salted butter, melted
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 2/3 cup 160 mL sour cream
- 1/2 cup 125 mL cilantro, finely minced
- Heat oven to 375F (190C). Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment.
- Stir together avocado, tomato, corn, red onion, 2 tsp (10 mL) lime juice, chili powder, half the garlic and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt in a medium bowl.
- On clean counter top, place one sheet of pastry. Brush evenly with butter and top with another sheet, smoothing to flatten. Brush second sheet with butter and top with a third sheet. Cut sheet along the long edge into 5 even strips. Cut each strip in half crosswise and in half again to make 4, 3-inch (8 cm) squares. Repeat with remaining strips.
- Fill one half of each square with 1 tbsp. (15 mL) filling, leaving a 1/2 inch (1 cm) border. Brush border with egg wash. Fold pointed edge of unfilled half over to create a triangle and press firmly to adhere to egg-washed edges. Place on prepared sheet and brush triangles with egg wash. Bake until golden; about 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining pastry sheets and filling.
- Meanwhile, mix sour cream, cilantro, remaining lime juice, garlic and salt in a small bowl. Serve with pockets.
Find more great recipes online at walmart.ca/recipes.
Source: (NC) www.newscanada.com