Have you ever been to a spa and had a body scrub treatment? They are the most relaxing treatments ever! You actually get a better deal when you purchase a body scrub treatment because you are also getting a relaxing massage at the same time as your massage attendant exfoliates your skin for you. Most body scrubs contain an exfoliant such as sea salt, sugar or ground shells which sloughs off dead skin. The great news is that you can now give yourself a body scrub in the comfort of your own bathroom. Of course, you may want to still go to the spa for one, but you can now have smooth, beautiful, soft skin every day!
Here is a super simple recipe that you can make right now at home because you probably have the ingredients in your kitchen:
Take 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup sea salt and mix it with enough oil (sunflower or olive oil) so that your mixture is moist and a workable texture that you can pick up small amounts (not too runny). You can use all sugar if you do not have sea salt or vice versa. If you have an essential oil like rosemary or lavender, a few drops will work well. If you do not have an essential oil, you can add a fresh mashed fruit like mango or ground coffee. If you do not have fruit or coffee grinds, you can use the sugar and oil as your scrub and you are done and ready to use it on your skin! The sugar will act as an exfoliant and the oil will soften and condition your skin.
Here are some benefits of a Polish Me Body Scrub:
Sea Salt Benefits
- Acts as an antiseptic to kill germs and bacteria
- High mineral content of magnesium and potassium help to reduce stress, fluid retention, and slow the process of aging
- Reduces the size of skin pores
- Removes dead skin, making your skin look healthier and smoother (great for people back from a vacation at a sun destination)
- Caffeine from coffee helps break up fatty deposits (cellulite) making skin smoother and tighter
- Coffee has anti-aging properties and can help prevent acne and blemishes
- Turmeric has anti-aging properties and helps with skin conditions
- French green clay tightens and renews skins cells, very absorbent, great for people with oily skin, revitalizes the complexion, tightens pores, full of nutrients and minerals, beneficial for muscular pain, swelling, arthritic conditions, absorbs impurities, leaves skin smooth, radiant and fresh
- Banana powder extract is rich in potassium and Vitamin A, great for dry skin
- Seaweed powder is full of vitamins E and B12, nutrients, amino acids, draws out toxins and impurities, helps stimulate
- Metabolism and circulation to give skin a healthy glow, suitable for all skin types, helps with skin disorders
Essential oils and Aromatherapy Benefits
- Peppermint: relieves mental fatigue, nervous stress, cramps, indigestion, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches
- Blood Orange: anti-depressant, anti-inflammatory, relaxes muscular and nervous spasms
- Lavender: helps reduce insomnia, stress, tense and sore muscles, migrains, depression, anxiety, emotional stress, improves blood circulation, lowers blood pressure, helps with skin disorders because of its anti fungal properties, helps stop the itch of insect bites and sunburned skin
- Chamomile: calming, eliminates feelings of sadness, depression
- Geranium: gentle astringent, helps scars and spots fade, regenerate new cells, helps with skin diseases, PMS
- Rosemary: tones and relieves dry skin, good for depression, mental fatigue, good energy boost when inhaled
- Coffee: depression, anti-oxidant
Essential oils have different healing and beneficial properties. They are also used in numerous ways such as diluted and applied on the skin or in aromatherapy.
The information presented here is a guideline and is not intended as medical advice. Please consult your doctor if you are concerned or have questions about natural products or essential oils and how they will affect you. Always check with your doctor before using products with essential oils on babies, if you are pregnant and/or breastfeeding.
Pura Vida Spa