Turn your backyard into a haven of fun with plenty of easy DIY summertime favourite activities to enjoy.
- Camping: Whether you set up a tent or build your own using blankets and patio furniture, camping in your own backyard can be your next great escape. Play a board game and tell scary stories. If you prefer “glamping,” bring a laptop or device to enjoy a movie under the stars.
- Gardening: The accomplishment you’ll feel when you see something sprout is instantly gratifying. Get the whole family involved by setting up stations: one to pick the perfect spot, one to dig the hole, one to sprinkle the seeds and one to splash with water.
- Sports: Host an Olympic-style tournament with whatever games you want – break out the dusty badminton racquets, blow up a beach ball or set up a table for some water (or beer) pong. Make a tournament bracket to keep score.
- Arts and crafts: Channel your inner Picasso. Fill water guns with paint and take your shot on a canvas for abstract art. Tie-dye a t-shirt. Draw a chalk mural. Set garbage bags on the ground to limit your mess.
A few best practices to keep in mind:
- Tick- and mosquito-repellent clothing: Don’t let the bugs get in the way of your activities. The first of its kind in Canada, Mark’s WindRiver tick- and mosquito-repellent clothing does just that, providing invisible and odourless protection against summer pests.
- Sun protection: Wear sunscreen and apply it regularly. Seek shade when available.
- Drink lots of water: Stay hydrated. The more water you drink, the more energy you’ll have to enjoy your time outside.
- Have fun: Embrace our new normal of physical distancing and make the most of the space you do have.