Quite often, homeowners chose to use rugs to accent their room’s décor or perhaps to add warmth to hardwood or non-carpeted or high traffic areas of their home or office. It can also soften the acoustics of the room; while at the same time make for less echoes and noise. Yes, rugs are an important element in many homes and offices, but despite the many pros of an area rug, they do bring along a few disadvantages. One of which is maintenance. Fortunately, there are many rug cleaner options to help your rug looking as clean and new as it did the day you purchased it.
Ideally, the best way to enhance rug cleaner options is through being cognizant of the type of wear and tear it receives. Like with fully carpeted rooms, keeping mud, dirt and food off the rug will go a long way towards reducing how often rug cleaner must be used. You will also want to vacuum the rug often, ideally at least once a week, and should take the rug outdoors to shake out any buildup of embedded dirt.
However, if your rug is in need of some deep cleaning, then here are some rug cleaner tips especially for the DIY-er:
- Turn the rug at least once every 6 months so that the foot traffic it receives is varied, thus reducing the wear and tear to a specific are of the rug.
- When vacuuming, turn the rug over and vacuum both the top and bottom of the rug to ensure you are getting out as much dirt and dust as possible.
- Do you have indoor pets? If so, then be sure to spend some time each week brushing out the rug to remove any pet hair. When brushing, brush against the grain of the rug as this will be more effective.
- Some of the woven rugs are washable –be sure to check the label! For those that can be thrown in the washer, first put them inside of a zippered pillowcase or mesh laundry bag. Wash in cool water on a gentle cycle, rinsing thoroughly. Tumble dry on a low setting. For larger rugs, place them on a vinyl or concrete floor or place an old blanket beneath them. Sponge commercial carpet-cleaning foam over the surface and rub it in according to the product directions. Finish by rinsing or vacuuming. Dry thoroughly before replacing the rug on the floor.
- Antique or delicate rugs should be cleaned by placing a large mesh screen over the rug, weighting down with books or other heaving objects, then vacuuming the rug through the screen.
- If you have a rug that is reversible, then be sure to flip the rug over anytime you vacuum the rug.
These DYI rug cleaner tips can help you keep your rug looking wonderful for years to come. However, if you still find yourself wishing your rug looked even better, then consider calling in a rug cleaner professional. In Harrisburg, PA contact Allweins Carpet Cleaner to learn how your rug can look its best.
Many websites provide additional information on the topic of rug cleaner. One such site worth visiting is Allweinscarpetcleaning.com
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those solely of the author, and not of any other person, company or organization. No guarantee or warranty, express or implied, is made regarding the accuracy, fitness, or use of the content herein.
Thank you for this article. It’s really interesting and helpful.