Freezer-Friendly Fall Flavors
Finding time to make a home-cooked meal is challenging for most, but making freezable dishes is a great way to stay on track on any busy week. Pasta sauce, chili, stew, soup, casserole and meat pie recipes all freeze, thaw and reheat well without compromising quality or taste. Pair your favourite recipe with hardy, protein-packed options like ground pork, Italian sausage, smoked ham or pork roast for a hearty meal that will stand up to the freezer.
Once your meal is cooked, store it in sealed, airtight containers such as freezer bags, mason jars and plastic or glass containers. This will preserve your dish for maximum freshness while allowing for convenient defrosting.
This extra-meaty tomato sauce with duBreton Certified Humane and organic pork can be easily cooked and stored in the freezer for easy weeknight meals.
Extra-Meaty Pasta Sauce
- 1 pkg (400 g mild or hot Italian sausages)
- 1 tbsp 15 mL olive oil
- 450 g 1 lb pork shoulder boneless roast
- 450 g 1 lb ground pork
- 1 pkg (125 g sliced smoked ham, minced)
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 3 celery stalks (chopped)
- 1 green pepper (finely diced)
- 1/2 lb 225 g mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 large can (28 oz/794 g crushed tomatoes)
- 2 large cans (56 oz/1.59 kg diced tomatoes)
- 1 small can (5.5 oz/156 g tomato paste)
- 30 ml 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Slice sausages in half lengthwise; remove and discard the casing.
- In a large pot, heat oil over high heat. Add pork roast and sear on all sides. Remove from pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, sauté sausage meat, ground pork and ham. Once meat is seared, add onions, celery, green pepper and garlic. Continue sautéing, stirring frequently until meat is cooked and vegetables are soft. Add crushed and diced tomatoes, tomato paste and seasoning. Bring to a boil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Return pork shoulder to pot, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 2 to 3 hours until pork is tender. Remove from pot, shred using two forks and return meat to sauce.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve over your favourite pasta.
Find more delicious recipes online at dubreton.com.