A few years ago, my mother in law was gracious enough to share with me her recipe to make these easy and delicious homemade dinner rolls. You can make them any time of the year or just for special family dinners. You can freeze them (once baked) for up to 3 months in your freezer and then reheat in the oven (for 3-4 minutes) or the microwave for 1-2 minutes once thawed.
Homemade Tasty Dinner Rolls Recipe
- 2 packages (envelopes dry yeast)
- 3/4 cup warm water (not hot water)
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (divided)
- vegetable grease
- In a measuring cup, dissolve the dry yeast in warm water. Pour yeast mixture into a mixing bowl and add in the granulated sugar, salt, egg, butter and 1 cup of your all-purpose flour. Mix the dough well. If needed, stir in a little more of the all-purpose flour to make a soft dough.
- Shape the dough into a large ball. Lightly grease all sides of the ball and then return your dough ball back to your mixing bowl. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and let it rise until it has doubled in size. Punch down the dough and shape into smaller balls and let rise for 20-30 additional minutes.
- Place balls onto a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 9 to 13 minutes or until golden brown and done.
Serving Suggestions: Serve rolls slightly warm with a pat of butter, honey butter, jam or fruit preserves.
Shelly Hill is a mother and grandmother living in Pennsylvania who enjoys cooking and baking a variety of homemade foods. You can visit Shelly’s online cooking site at http://wahmshelly.blogspot.com for free cooking tips and recipes.