Homemade toilet pre-spray is a wonderful way to deal with toilet odors in a beautiful, naturally fragrant way; the way mother nature intended.
You get to use your beautiful home-grown herbs and essential oils and save money at the same time, not to mention no longer breathing in toxic chemical sprays.
The basic recipe is below, for a 3 oz. bottle size for small quantities, but I think you will really enjoy my herbal pre-spray, which I have lovingly labelled twoo pourri.
I like to steep a large volume of herbs in boiled water for 10 minutes, for my base liquid. I go out into the garden on a nice sunny fragrant day and collect a mixture of peppermint geranium leaves and stalks, bay leaves, kaffir lime leaves, parsley, mint, pineapple sage, lavender, lemon grass and any other favourites. This is also a good way to use, trim and prune your herbs.
1. I fill a 10 liter pot to half full, of structured energized water and bring it to the boil first before half filling it with ripped up herbs. I push the herbs under the water with a large wooden spoon.
2. I put the lid on the pot and leave the herbs to steep for ten minutes with the heat turned off. (This is similar to making fresh herb tea in a plunger.) You can make a smaller recipe with my method, in your coffee plunger.
3. I then stir the mixture well and press the herbs down with my large wooden spoon, to extract the last of their fragrance, before setting the pot aside to cool to room temperature. I then finely strain this fragrant liquid into a clean pot. The fine straining is necessary so the liquid used in spray bottles will not clog up. (I discard the heated herbs to the green bin.)
4. From there, I add my favourite mix of essential oils, to this cooled liquid until it smells as strong as you like it. If it is not cooled, the fragrances will evaporate off. It does take a large number of drops per volume of liquid, to reach an odour busting fragrance. The recipe below says 30 – 40 drops per 3 oz bottle, but your nose will tell you when you have enough drops in your recipe to please your sense of smell.
I like to stir my mixture with a silver spoon, to add a tiny amount of silver into the mix. Silver is a good antivirus, antifungal and antibacterial remedy. I then add some structured energized water from our tap to restructure the mix. This water gives out a very positive energy field.
5. Remember to put the rubbing alcohol into the mix to stop the oils and water separating. Work this out according to the volume of water you have by the recipe below, which states 1 tsp to 3 ozs of liquid.
For this recipe, I find patchouli and rose essential oils make a good fragrance together, and frankincense is also another good odor disguising fragrance. This is a good time to use up all those essential oils sitting in your cupboards not being used. Tea tree and eucalyptus oils are all strong fragrances.
The official do it yourself recipe for homemade toilet pre-spray.
- 1 tsp rubbing alcohol
- 30-40 drops essential oils of choice ( I used Lemon grass and Peppermint)
Pour rubbing alcohol into a 3 oz spray container and add the essential oils. The alcohol keeps the oils from separating from the water, so you don’t have to shake it before each use. You can use any combination of oils that you’d like. Add water to fill the container. Give it a good shake and you’re ready to go. I’ve found 3-4 sprays is enough to cover the bowl and trap odorous particles below.
The $2 and $1 dollar shops in NZ have inexpensive spray bottles and labels to store your sprayin. This makes a fun gift for the family.
They will be asking you for more, believe me!
Any excess mixture you can store in glass bottles with plastic lids until you need to refill your spray bottles.
6. To use this toilet spray, you simply spray some into the toilet bowel before using the toilet and then spray it into the bowl again after flushing the toilet, so your toilet room smells lovely and fresh all the time.
Quote: If you sprinkle before you tinkle, your nose won’t wrinkle!
Enjoy this, and feel free to share this recipe with friends and family.
7. Now, if you want to use the very best water you can, to make this, and energize your room at the same time, read about our structured water below.
You will be very pleased you looked.