There are certain flavors that just go together, peanut butter and chocolate for example. Another combination of flavors that makes a perfectly happy marriage is honey and barbecue.
These two flavors have created an uproar in the kitchen with chefs churning out by the masses menu items featuring items drenched in honey barbecue sauce: wings, burgers, steaks, chicken breasts, chicken strips, ribs and more. But the honey barbecue sauce can also make for a very good dry treat!
Honey barbecue beef jerky is a popular homemade jerky flavor to make. Sure, there are plenty of honey barbecue sauces available on grocery store shelves from brands like Ken’s, Heinz and Kikomon. But, there are also some sweet and tangy recipes for a honey barbecue marinade that is perfect for slapping on beef jerky. Here is one that we found and enjoy:
Honey Barbecue Beef Jerky
- 3/4 c honey
- 1/2 c ketchup
- 1/4 c butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon style mustard
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, put through a press
- chili powder optional, use to taste
- 1 lb of meat
1. Slice meat in thin strips.
2. In a bowl, combine all ingredients of marinade and mix well.
3. Simmer ingredients for about five minutes. Let cool.
4. Place meat 3-4 layers deep in a container, spooning sauce mixture over each layer.
5. Cover tightly and marinate 6-12 hours in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally.
6. Layout on trays, 24 to 36 hours in dehydrator (or follow directions for oven).
When done, the honey barbecue flavor will have been absorbed in every thread of the meat, giving the jerky a lovely blend of that honey barbecue taste our taste buds have grown to like.
If you found this information on honey barbecue beef jerky useful, you’ll want to read this article about buy beef jerky online.