Making dried banana pieces can be a bit tricky as bananas tend to turn brown when they come in contact with air. There is a way to counteract this extreme browning when drying your banana slices by dipping the banana slices in lemon juice prior to drying.
Dried banana pieces come in chunks, round slices or long slices. To get crunchy banana chips you will have to fry them in coconut oil. Banana powder is made from whole, peeled dried bananas which have been ground to a powder. Banana powder is used for banana bread mixes and banana flavored deserts.
Making Dried Banana Slices at Home
A dehydrator is probably the best way to dry banana slices as the dehydrator allows more of the natural flavor of the banana to come through. Apart from lemon juice you can also use other citrus fruit juices or a honey wash to keep your bananas from becoming too dark when drying.
- 4 to 6 Ripe bananas (ensure that your bananas are not overripe)
- Baking or cookie trays
- Lemon or citrus juice
- Chip slicer or knife
- Spray oil
- First you need to peel your bananas. Using a knife or chip slicer, slice your bananas into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Spray your baking or cookie trays with oil to prevent the banana slices from sticking to the trays.
- Preheat the oven to 105 degrees Fahrenheit, or set your dehydrator to 105 degrees
- Put the banana slices onto the baking tray in a single layer making sure to not let the pieces touch.
- Sprinkle the slices with lemon or citrus juice to prevent them from browning once dried.
- Place the baking tray in the oven or dehydrator for about 12 to 14 hours.
- If you are using an oven, be sure to leave the oven door open to allow excess moisture to escape.
- After 6 hours turn the slices and continue baking.
- Once the banana pieces are dry, remove them from the oven and allow to cool before storing them.
Tips and Hints
— Bananas can be dried in the sun but you will need 2 to 3 days of sunny weather to do so. If the weather turns cloudy or the humidity rises sun drying will not work.
— To add a different taste to your banana slices you can dip them in a honey and lemon mixture and then in chopped nuts or coconut prior to drying them in the oven.
— When choosing your bananas for drying, make sure they have no brown spots on the skin.
— Dried banana slices make for very tasty snacks and can be eaten as is.
— Always store your homemade dried banana slices in an airtight container or Ziploc bags in a cool, dry place.
— Instead of using lemon juice to prevent your banana slices from browning you can also use pineapple juice.
Becki Andrus is an avid reader who loves learning about health and nutrition. Over the years she has enjoyed studying how food and exercise affect the body, and is on a mission to share this information with others.
Photo. Tiia Monto
What amazing food it looks so delicious I will certainly be trying it. I am not a good cook, but love food and from that practicing my culinary skills.