The tea sandwiches are light food that can be had during teatime. These sandwiches are such that they can be easily and quickly prepared with light fillers. There are number of recipes available for tea sandwiches that are famous throughout. These recipes are easy to follow and the sandwiches are ready within few minutes. The main characteristics that help the tea sandwich recipes to be so popular among all the people are as follows:
* The small size of the sandwiches that is obtained by cutting the regular size bread into four small triangle pieces. Thus, they are easily gulped up in two or three bites.
* They are crust less, i.e. the edges of the bread which usually tend to be hard are removed
* They are thin-sliced which makes the sandwiches light food item to have during the tea session in the afternoons.
* The sandwich recipes are flavorful and hence compliment with the tea. They are not sweet, and often prepared with, garlic, scallions, spicy mustard, and pepper.
* Each one of them is spread with soft butter or cream cheese to avoid the sogginess of the sandwiches.
These form the main ingredients of the tea sandwich recipes, the other stuffing or fillers can be considered as add on. These sandwich recipes can be a good idea for having food items during the theme parties, birthday parties and similar occasions.
The category of the popular and most widely accepted tea sandwich recipes are given below:
Egg Bread Tea Sandwich
- 3 cooked eggs which are peeled and finely chopped
- One tablespoon of finely chopped green onions
- ½ c. of mayonnaise
- 10 slices of egg bread
- Some salt and pepper to taste
This sandwich is easily prepared by just mixing up all the ingredients well and applying the mixture on the bread slices.
Cucumber Tea Sandwich recipe is still the quintessential tea sandwich recipe. Everyone mostly accepts it and most of the tea parties are incomplete without it.
Cucumber Tea Sandwich
- One large cucumber thinly sliced and peeled nicely
- ¾ cup of soft butter along with slices of bread
- Two tsp minced fresh garlic
- One tsp of lemon juice and olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
It can be prepared quickly and tastes very yummy. Initially the cucumber is sprinkled with little salt. One slice of each sandwich is applied with the paste of butter and garlic. In a bowl stir together the lemon juice, olive oil, pepper, and add the cucumbers so that they are well coated by the mixture. Then arrange all these cucumbers in between two slices of all the sandwiches and serve by cutting off the edges.
The most commonly accepted tea sandwich recipe that takes hardly 5 minutes to prepare consists of the following ingredients…
- ¼ cup crumbled, cooked bacon
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
The sandwich can be prepared by mixing all these ingredients and applying it on one of the sides of the tasted bread.
Muna wa Wanjiru