This is a simple lemon sponge cake which is light, lemony and delicious, and is easy to prepare and cook. Anyone with a sweet tooth will enjoy the clean and fresh flavor of this sumptuous recipe, and it is always a good idea to make more than you think you need as it seems to disappear rather quickly!
The lemon sponge cake is best done as a tray bake but it works just as well when made as fairy cakes. You will need a 12″x8″x1.5″ baking tin which needs to be greased and lined with baking parchment. Preheat your oven to 190c/170c for fan assisted oven/gas mark 5
- 8 oz/225g Unsalted butter cut into small pieces and at room temperature
- 8 oz/225g Golden caster sugar
- 8 oz/225g Self raising flour sifted
- 3 Medium eggs at room temperature
- 5 fl oz/150ml milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (sifted)
- Finely grated zest and juice of two un-waxed lemons
- 4 oz/110g Golden Granulated sugar
- Put the butter and caster sugar in a bowl or mixer and cream together until light and fluffy.
- One at a time put in the eggs and mix well, make sure you scrap down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the milk whilst still stirring and beat to a creamy consistency.
- Now add the flour and baking powder, continuing to whisk all the time.
- Add the lemon zest only and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, smooth over the surface and put in the middle of the oven.
- Bake the lemon sponge cake for 30 minutes until the top is golden and the sides just shrinking away from the sides of the tin, use a clean skewer to test the centre of the cake and make sure it comes out clean.
- Remove from oven when done and leave for 10 minutes now use the skewer and prick the cake all over as the next part is really yummy.
- Mix the granulated sugar and the lemon juice together in a bowl and stir until the sugar has almost dissolved.
- 10. Spoon over the cake evenly and now leave to cool completely and allow the lemon juice and sugar to soak into the cake.
If you would like to make this lemon sponge in the form of fairy cakes , simply bake per the instructions above but bake it for 15-18 minutes, checking occasionally.
Lemon sponge cake serving suggestion
Serve the sponge with lemon sauce or vanilla custard or just with a hot cup of Darjeeling or Ceylon tea, put your feet up and enjoy.
I hope you enjoyed this lemon sponge recipe, if you would like to try more great desserts, why not try some of these deliciously tempting dessert recipes. http://www.barbecue-party.com
Photo Credit: Stu Spivack
Article Source: Articlesbase.com