Try making your own ice cream with fresh floral elements. Here is a simple recipe for lavender ice cream made from fresh lavender.
Making Lavender Ice Cream
- 4 cups of milk
- 2 cups of whipping cream
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup of fine white sugar
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 cup of honey
- stalks of fresh lavenders or dried lavenders (used for cooking)
What materials do I need?
- ice cream maker (borrow from Mom or from the lovely neighbor)
- mixing bowls
- sauce pans
- Pick lavender petals from the stem. Set aside.
- Pour in honey, and half of the lavender petals into a sauce pan. Allow it to cook and simmer on medium heat. Set aside.
- Once the lavender and honey mixture simmered, set them aside for an hour for the honey to steep the lavender petals.
- After an hour, pour and strain lavender and honey mixture into the mixing bowl with the whipping cream. Set aside.
- Bring together milk, sugar, and salt in a saucepan and allow to simmer.
- Use the whisk to beat the egg yolks.
- Whisk together the milk mixture and beaten egg.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture into the saucepan and allow to simmer until thick. This will take approximately 7 to 10 minutes. Set aside after.
- Pour and strain the milk and egg into the lavender, honey and whipping cream mixture.
- Add the other half of the lavender petals.
- Stir. Stir. Stir.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl covered with cling wrap and place it in the freezer for 5 hours.
- After five hours, pour and strain the mixture into the ice cream maker. It is important to strain the lavender petals.
- Follow instructions on how to use the ice cream maker.
- Transfer the mixture into a container and chill it for a few hours.
- Viola! 15 easy steps to ice cream heaven and just in time for your afternoon movie marathon.
Get fresh flowers for you next birthday project from online florists.