Measles is best known for causing a rash in childhood, but measles can affect other parts of the body and sometimes occurs in adults. Vaccination has significantly reduced the number of cases in the United States, although isolated outbreaks continue to occur.
There are two types of measles, each caused by a different virus. Although both produce a rash and fever, they are really different diseases:
1. The rubeola virus causes “red measles,” also known as “hard measles” or just “measles.” Although most people recover without problems, rubeola can lead to pneumonia or inflammation of the brain (encephalitis).
2. The rubella virus causes “German measles,” also known as “three-day measles.” This is usually a milder disease than red measles. However, this virus can cause significant birth defects if an infected pregnant woman passes the virus to her unborn child.
Causes of Measles (Romantika)
Romantika is caused due to the paramyxo virus. The paramyxo virus thrives in air and hence the disease is airborne. The ways in which the romantika virus is transmitted from one person to another are as follows:-
If a person comes in direct physical contact with an affected person, then he or she too has the chance of contracting measles. This chance is greater in the first two days of the onset of measles.
The virus causing romantika can live in the sputum, saliva and phlegm of the affected person. This can be transmitted to another healthy person if the affected person coughs, sneezes or even talks and laughs loudly.
Even if the diseased person is kept in isolation, there is a chance of spreading the disease through the clothes, or simply through the air.
Symptoms of Measles
1. Feverish feeling
3. Watering of the eyes
4. Dry cough
6. Runny nose
7. Inflamed eyes (conjunctivitis)
8. Sensitivity to light
9. Loss of appetite
Home Remedy for Measles
1. Lemon juice is known to be beneficial for treating measles. Take 15ml – 25 ml of lemon juice, diluted with water.
2. Mix ½ tsp each of licorice and honey and consume on a daily basis. This is beneficial for a person suffering from measles.
3. Powder dried turmeric roots. Take about ½ tsp of this powder, with honey and juice of a few bitter gourd leaves. This is a good way to cure a person suffering from measles.
4. Have lukewarm water for baths and if possible, add neem leaves to the bathing water. It will be helpful in relieving you from the itching.
5. Having fresh orange juice, when struck with measles, is a good way to get healthy once again. Intake about two glasses of the juice per day.
6. Barley water is beneficial in treating measles. Consume a glass of this on an everyday basis.
Diet During Measles (Romantika)
A healthy diet ensures that you are well-protected from the paramyxo virus, as well as the side-effects that this disease can cause. Follow the dietary regimen given below:-
1. Romatika causes a lot of dehydration within the body. Hence the foods must supply for this loss of water. Include lots of fresh fruits in your diet, especially citrus fruits like oranges, grapes, cantaloupes, etc. that contain high water content.
2. Vitamin A-rich foods are also to be included in the diet because they build up body resistance against fevers. Carrots are the best source of vitamin A. Papaya is also rich in vitamin A content.
3. Foods like parsley quicken the healing process. They make the blisters ripen faster and degenerate.