Banana bread is a classic comfort food that takes full advantage of the tradition of reserving over-ripe bananas for a delicious treat. This updated version of banana bread is far healthier than many standard recipes, which are typically filled with added sugars, oils and refined grains.
Nutty Whole Grain Banana Bread
- 3 ripe medium bananas, peeled, mashed
- 1/2 cup milk or soymilk, plain, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut, unsweetened, shredded
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons pistachio nuts
- 3 tablespoon chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a mixing bowl, whip together bananas, soymilk, vegetable oil, chia seeds, vanilla, and sugar for two minutes. For best results, use an electric mixer.
Stir in remaining ingredients, mixing only until well combined.
Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake for about 65 minutes, until fork inserted in center comes out clean.
Remove, cool slightly before slicing.
Makes 12 slices.
Serving Size: 1 Slice Per Serving: 221 calories, 13 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 25g total carbs, 5g dietary fiber, 9g sugar, 5g protein, 60mg sodium.
This recipe was created by Sharon Palmer, MSFS, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian.