Kenny Rogers Roasters is a chicken restaurant that was started in 1991 in the United States by Country music legend Kenny Rogers.
By 1995 the menu had expanded to include Kenny Rogers Roasters chicken, made in wood-fire rotisserie, as well as fresh-made side dishes, rotisserie turkey breast, honey-bourbon barbecue ribs, pita sandwiches, soups and salads. Other popular items included Miami Subs, their incredible Kenny Rogers Fire-And-Ice Chili and their vanilla muffins.
Kenny Rogers Roasted Chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 1/2 cup rock salt
- 2 tablespoons calamansi juice (calamondin)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 2 tablespoons chili catsup
- 2 teaspoons well-pounded garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper mill grind black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard
Rub the chicken with rock salt. Rinse and pat dry. Place the chicken in a bowl.
Add the rest of the ingredients and let stand in the refrigerator for at least 8 – 24 hours.
Cook slowly, basting with the remaining marinade from time to time.
If you don’t have a chicken rotisserie, it’s actually worth getting one. The electric ones don’t cost that much – and the result is healthy and downright delicious. However, you can certainly still cook ‘er up proud in the oven! Either way, you’re going to get the best old timey Country Cooking can provide
Kenny Rogers Roasters BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup Applesauce
- 1/2 cup Heinz ketchup
- 1 1/4 cups Light brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
In heavy saucepan bring mixture to boil.
Stir constantly about 4 to 5 minutes. Turn heat to low and continue to stir (about 3 to 5 minutes) making sure sugar is completely dissolved.
Allow to cook without stirring for 15 minutes on lowest possible heat, uncovered. Transfer to top of double boiler over simmering water if to be used as a basting sauce for ribs or chicken during baking; or cool sauce and refrigerate covered to use in 30 days.
This BBQ Sauce freezes well.
Kenny Rogers Corn Muffins
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon concentrated hickory liquid smoke flavoring
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cream together butter, sugar, honey, eggs and salt in a large bowl. Add flour, cornmeal and baking powder and blend thoroughly. Add milk while mixing. Add corn to mixture and combine by hand until corn is worked in.
Grease a 12-cup muffin pan and fill each cup with batter.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until muffins begin to turn brown on top.
Kenny Rogers Fire-And-Ice Chili
- 1 20-ounce can pineapple chunks in syrup
- 2 pounds lean boneless pork roast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 28-ounce can tomatoes cut up
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chili peppers drained
- 1 green pepper chopped 3/4 cup)
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 to 3 tablespoons seeded and finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chili toppers: sliced onions, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese
1. Drain pineapple, reserving syrup.
2. In a Dutch oven, cook pork, half at a time, in hot olive oil till brown. Return all the meat to the pot. Add the first chopped onion and 1 clove garlic. Cook over medium heat till onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the reserved pineapple syrup, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, green chili peppers, the green pepper, 1 onion, 2 cloves garlic, chili powder, cumin, jalapeno pepper and salt.
4. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer the chili for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add the pineapple chunks. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes more.
5. Let diners add their own toppers. Makes 8 to 10 servings. Note: To increase the spiciness of the chili, add 2 more tablespoons of the jalapeno pepper.
Kenny Rogers Vanilla Muffins
- 125g butter
- 80g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 125g flour
- 2 tbsp milk
- 50g buttercream
1. Cream the butter and sugar till white as the night.
2. Add in the eggs one by one and beat it like you mean it. 3. Sift the flour and fold it in slowly (quite using the beater).
4. Blend in the milk.
5. Add in the buttercream.
Dig In and Enjoy!
Kenny Rogers Roasters Fun Facts:
>As a recognized leader in wood roasted chicken, Kenny Rogers Roasters is still the leading international wood-fire roasted chicken chain in the world. Constantly in a state of being turned on a skewer, this allows the fat to drain away and the chicken to be roasted more evenly while maximizing the retention of juices and nutrients. The results: simply a flavourful and nutritional meal – traditional and ultra-modern at the same time.
> Kenny Rogers ROASTERS’ philosophy is based on preparing wholesome, hearty and well-balanced meal which mirrors today’s discerning consumers’ changing attitude towards a healthy eating lifestyle. Their rotisserie chicken is healthier alternative to other quick-service food – and less fattening.
> From his years with the rockabilly group The Scholars, to his time with the folk group The New Christy Minstrels, and then the country-rock outfit First Edition, to his solo success in country music, Kenny Rogers is celebrating his iconic status in music. Country music veteran Kenny Rogers marked 50 years in the music business with a star-studded TV special.
> In the late 1970s, Kenny teamed up with close friend and country singer Dottie West for a series of albums and duets. Together the duo had three hit albums, selling out stadiums and arenas while on tour. Their hits together “Every Time Two Fools Collide”, “Anyone Who Isn’t Me Tonight” and “What Are We Doin’ In Love” became Country standards.
> His duet, “Islands in the Stream,” with fellow country singer Dolly Parton, was ranked the #1 on CMT 100 Greatest Country Duets of All Time.
> Spending a lot of time running a 1,200-acre Georgia farm, Kenny is happily settled with his wife Wanda Miller, whom he married in 1997. One of his sons, Kenny Rogers Jr., once followed in his father’s boot steps, briefly launching his own singing career in 1989.
> With its combination of delicious taste and healthy cooking – Kenny Rogers Roasters Restaurants are beginning to make a comeback in the place where they began – the USA. As one American fan has put it, “KRR as a healthy fast food alternative – a stroke of genius!”
A Graduate of the Holland College Culinary Course, Brian Alan Burhoe has cooked in Atlantic Coast restaurants for over 30 years. He is a member of the Canadian Culinary Federation. His articles reflect his interests in food service, dreamstudy, imaginative literature and our best friends — our dogs. His Home Page is A Culinary Mystery Tour – A Literary Chef –www.brianalanburhoe.com/
Photo Credit: Apolonia