Old fashioned style molasses cookies. A good source of Iron and vitamins, and tastes good even though it’s a healthy treat!
Old Fashioned Soft Molasses Cookies
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup shortening (melted)
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 beaten egg
- Mix dry ingredients. Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly then let stand for 10 minutes. Roll out on a floured board to about 1/4-1/2″(depends on how thick you want it), cut out shapes ( I use a drinking glass for round cookies) and bake in a hot oven at 400F. for 8 minutes.
- Makes 4 dozen.
- Optional: Top with cream cheese icing or add 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts to the dough.
- Store in an air tight container.
Pioneerthinking.com – Ingredients for a Simple Life.
Photo Credit: Pioneerthinking.com.
© Pioneerthinking.com 2009