You can’t beat traditional treats during the holiday season, and there’s nothing quite as classic as gingerbread. From elaborately decorated gingerbread houses to crisp gingersnaps, there are many ways to enjoy the slightly spiced and cozy flavour.
These scrumptious bars combine two traditional holiday treats – gingerbread and cookie bars – to create a mouthwatering bite perfect for the holidays. Swap your butter 1:1 with Becel Sticks, which require no softening so you can go from prep to enjoyment in 30 minutes.
Gingerbread Cookie Bars
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Makes: 30 cookie bars
- 2 ¼ cups 550 mL all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp 5 mL baking soda
- ½ tsp 2 mL salt
- 1 cup 250 mL (2 sticks) Becel unsalted margarine sticks
- 1 cup 250 mL firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup 60 mL granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp 5 mL vanilla extract
- 1 tsp 5 mL ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp 5 mL ground ginger
- 3 tbsp 45 mL white chocolate chips
- ½ cup 125 mL dried cranberries
- ½ cup 125 mL toasted chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190° C). Line 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking pan with foil or parchment paper, leaving 2-inch (5 cm) overhang. Spray with cooking spray and set aside. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat margarine sticks with sugars in large bowl. Beat in eggs and vanilla until blended. Gradually add in flour mixture; beat just until blended. Stir in cinnamon and ginger. Spread into prepared baking pan. Combine white chocolate chips, cranberries and pistachios in small bowl. Evenly sprinkle over dough; press gently.
- Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Using foil overhang, lift out of pan and cool completely. Cut into 30 pieces.