I have many friends of Puerto Rican decent and they have all contributed to the recipe below, which is absolutely fabulous. I keep Sofrito on hand to make this recipe, which I will also instruct you on making.
- 4 Green (Red, or Orange Bell Peppers)
- 2 Large White Onions
- 1 Head of Garlic
- In food processor pulverize all the ingredients above. Strain out all juices. Spread out in baking pan (7″ X 10″ or there about). Freeze. Cut into 2 inch squares and place in freezer container for future use. This is great in hamburgers too.
Rice and Beans
It’s a good idea to have all the ingredients measured ahead of time.
- 2 tbs. Olive Oil
- 1 or 2 squares Sofrito
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped fine)
- 1 Tomato Sauce (small can)
- 1 envelope Sazon (from supermarket)
- 10-12 Pimento Olives
- 1 can rinsed drained Pink Beans
- 2 cups washed Long Grained Rice (I use Carolina Rice)
- 1 tbsp. Onion Powder
- 2 tsp. Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- Water (must equal 4 cups water)
- In deep pot place the Olive Oil, Sofrito and garlic. Simmer on medium/low flame for two minutes – add can tomato sauce – cook another minute.
- Add the Sazon envelope and olives stir mixture and continue to simmer ingredients. Add 1/2 cup of water to mixture. Stir and continue simmering. Open the can of Pink Beans and rinse them in strainer under water before you add them to the pot. Add the remaining ingredients except the water (Sofrito, Onion powder, Oregano, salt, and pepper). Cook for 5 minutes.
- Place 2 cups of rice to strainer and rinse under water several times before adding to the other ingredients in the pot. Add remaining water. Cover and simmer low flame for 15-20 minutes until all water is absorbed. DELICIOUS !!!
Penny Carolyn Barbato