Creating deer food plots is an important way to not only keep a deer herd on your property, but to also provide this herd with much need nutrients throughout the year. For those who are new to creating these food plots, it can be a bit overwhelming. When do you plant? What do you plant? How much rainfall is too much? What will grow in very dry conditions?
It is true that depending on your location across the United States the type of plantings may vary. It is also true that when you plant may also vary due to your areas normal weather conditions. However, there are some great options on the market from manufacturers who have made it their life’s work to provide deer hunting enthusiasts with the best possible options for creating food plots for whitetail deer.
To help you decide what may work best for you, we have reviewed the top 5 choices for annuals. No matter where you are located in the country, there is an option for you.
1. Imperial Whitetail Double-Cross– Double Cross contains brassica, kale, rapeseed and 5 different varieties of clovers. This gives you a variety of feed throughout the year. Deer get plenty of green in October and November and bulbs in December. It also continues to draw deer to your property during the following summer.
2. Hunter’s Specialties Vita-Rack Winter Forage– This is a forage we have highlighted previously and for good reason. Even though the name speaks to the need to provide nutrients and protein to deer throughout the long winters, Vita-Rack also provides clover during the late summer and early fall which continues to attract deer. This mix contains turnip, rape and clover and will provide a food plot that the deer will hit all year long.
3. Biologic Winter Bulbs & Sugar Beets– This blend from Biologic will produce big nourishing green tops and big brassica root bulbs. After the whitetails eat through the tops (usually during the early hunting season) they dig at the bulbs.
4. Frigid Forage Big-N-Beasty Brassicas– This mix contains rape, sugar beets, turnips and forage carrots. However, Big-N-Beasty’s big claim is that it is developed to withstand the cold northern climates which exist in many sections of the United States. The company is located in Minnesota and this forage definitely lives up to the hype. It will provide the deer on your property forage even after the snow starts to fly.
5. Imperial Whitetail Tall Tine Tubers– Another great product from Imperial. This provides hunters with a late season planting option. Every serious hunter knows that turnips are a favorite of whitetail deer. Well, Imperial takes this knowledge and packs their forage full of turnip varieties which provide quick growth and sustainability during high feeding times.
Planting annuals can provide deer hunters with a variety of hunting options during the heart of the season. Using one of the five choice we outlined above can give you a vibrant and sustainable deer food plot no matter where you are located throughout the country.
Food Plots For Whitetail Deer reveals how whitetail deer hunter can get dramatic results when planting food plots for trophy whitetails. To learn more about deer food plots visit us at FoodPlotsForWhitetailDeer.org
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com