These mouth-watering muffins made with shredded coconut and banana are just what you need to perk up your taste buds in the morning.
“Dairy-free coconut milk kefir lends that slight tanginess you’d normally get from buttermilk, along with a delicious coconut flavor. You’d never know these tender muffins were vegan!” says Michelle Pennock, executive chef for President’s Choice. “For the best texture, stir the batter just until the flour is no longer visible — over mixing crushes air bubbles, which results in dense muffins.”
Vegan Coconut Kefir Banana Muffins
Nutritional information per muffin: Calories 212; total fat 7 g; saturated fat 6 g;, sodium 361 mg; carbohydrates 35 g; fibre 2 g; sugars 18 g; protein 2 g.
- 2 cups 500 mL all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 250 mL granulated sugar
- 1 cup 250 mL unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tsp 10 mL baking soda
- 1 tsp 5 mL baking powder
- 1/2 tsp 2 mL salt
- 2 ripe bananas (mashed)
- 1-1/2 cups 375 mL PC dairy-free kefir probiotic fermented coconut milk
- 1/4 cup 50 mL cold-pressed liquid coconut oil
- 1 tsp 5 mL vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Mist 12-count muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together bananas, kefir, coconut oil and vanilla in separate large bowl. Add to flour mixture; stir just until no white streaks remain.
- Divide among the wells of prepared muffin tin. Bake until tops are golden and toothpick inserted in centres comes out clean; about 30 minutes. Let cool in muffin tin for 15 minutes.
Source: (NC) Newscanada.com