When you are going to prepare chicken for your meal, it can be a bit difficult to decide on a certain recipe since there are a lot of them that you can choose from. If you want to do an easy dish that you can prepare in less than an hour, cook the white chicken chili.
White Chicken Chili
White chicken chili is one of the best chili recipes that is a bit different from the usual because it is not tomato based. This is made of chicken and several spices so make sure that the people you are serving it love spicy foods and have no allergies to spices.
- 16 ounces of canned white beans
- 2 chopped large onions
- one stick of unsalted butter (= 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of chicken broth
- 2 pounds of chicken breasts
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 2 cans of chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon of hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup of shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup of water.
For the preparation of white chicken chili, you will need a large skillet. Heat the skillet under medium heat and put the butter and a little oil. While waiting for the skillet to get hot, coat the chicken with salt and pepper and if you want it to be spicier, you can add some chili powder. Add the coated chicken pieces to the pan and wait for them to turn golden brown before turning to cook the other side. Turn the chicken every few minutes so that they will not get burned until they are completely cooked. You can tell if the chicken is cooked by cutting into the center and checking if the juices are clear and if the color is already white. When the chicken is cooked, remove them from the pan and set aside to cool. When they are already cool enough, shred them and set aside. Using the same pan where you cooked the chicken, cook the onions and garlic with butter until they are soft.
- Meanwhile,place a large pot over low heat and melt the remaining butter. Add the flour and whisk it so that it mixes completely. Cook this for about three minutes with continuous whisking so that no lumps are formed. Add the onions and then the broth while continuing the whisking. Bring this to a boil and let it simmer for about 5 minutes or when it is already thickened. Add the spices – the cumin, pepper, salt, coriander, oregano and hot pepper sauce. Let it simmer for about one minute before you add the chicken, beans, chilies and the cheese. Cook for about 20 minutes while stirring occasionally. Your white chili chicken is now done, ready to be served in individual bowls with garnishes of your choice.
White chicken chili is perfect for whatever meal that you are serving, anytime of the day. Anyone who loves spicy foods will surely adore the white chicken chili recipe.