Simply put, you are amazing. Your body is unbelievably complex yet operates as a cohesive, coordinated whole. It is incredibly resilient and strong, and can perform thousands of tasks without you even having to think about it. Below are just some of the amazing facts about the human body.
1. Your nose can remember more than 50,000 scents.
2. Your lungs exhale more than two quarts of water per day.
3. A sneeze can exceed 100 miles per hour, coughs over 60 mph.
4. The stomach’s digestive acids are strong enough to dissolve razor blades.
5. Laid end to end, the blood vessels in the lung would stretch 1,500 miles.
6. Human bone is as strong as granite in supporting weight.
7. Each one of your kidneys contain 1,000,000 individual filters.
8. Nerve impulses travel as fast as 170 miles per hour.
9. The heart creates enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet
10. The surface area of your lungs is equal to the size of a tennis court.
11. Your liver has over 500 different functions.
12. You use 200 muscles to take one step.
13. You have about 32,000,000 beneficial bacteria per square inch of skin.
14. Humans shed and regrow an entire new layer of skin about every 27 days.
15. The total number of cells in the body is about 10-50 trillion.
16. Every day an adult body produces 300 billion new cells.
17. Your brain is 2% of your body weight but it uses about 20% of your oxygen.
18. The heat released by your body in 1 hour can boil 5 liters of water
19. Your salivary glands produce about 2 to 4 pints of spit every day.
20. The Achilles tendon is your largest tendon and can withstand more than 1,000 pounds of force.
21. A typical human gut contains about one hundred trillion bacterial cells.
22. Your heart will beat about 3 billion times over the course of your lifetime.
23. Your brain has over 100 billion nerve cells.
24. There are 3 times as many bacterial cells in your body as human cells.
25. Each cell in your body contains about 6 to 8 feet of DNA.
26. A newborn baby has 350 bones, but a fully-grown adult has only 206.
27. The total length of your circulatory system is 60,000 miles.
28. In one day your blood will travel a total of 12,000 miles.
29. Your eyes can distinguish up to 1,000,000 different colors.
30. Your marrow produces 100 billion red blood cells every day.
31. Your body has over 600 muscles.
32. We contain enough carbon to make 900 pencils.
33. If you lost even 2/3rds of your liver it would grow back within 4 weeks.
34. On average, you breathe 23,000 times a day and 600 million times in your life.
35. In your lifetime you will walk the equivalent of 5 times around the equator.
Nancy Hyton, L. Ac., C.H.,
Licensed Acupuncturist and Certified Herbalist, Center for Holistic Medicine
Photo Credit: Lauren
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com