Poison oak is an allergic skin condition that develops when you come in contact with the poisonous yellowish sap Urushiol oozing out of a bruised stem, root, fruit or leaf of an oak plant. Contact with only a billionth of a gram of urushiol is enough to cause this condition. The condition is also known as contact dermatitis. Itchy rashes crop up on skin within 12 to 48 hours of contact with the poisonous urushiol. In no time, the skin turns red, swells and painful blistering occurs. The blisters soon become crusted and scaling of skin occurs. This condition is very common in the eastern or central regions of USA. The condition develops either through direct contact with urushiol or through objects or animals that have come in contact with urushiol.
1. Cleanse the skin first with alcohol and then with water and soap. Next hold the skin beneath ice cold running water. This will ease the skin irritation and discomfort.
2. Mix little water with turmeric powder to make a paste. Apply the paste on the affected skin. Rinse after 30 minutes. This is an effective home remedy for poison oak.
3. Application of lavender essential oil on skin checks itching and soothes the rashes.
4. Rub the inside of a fresh ripe banana peel on rashes. Do this every 1 hour. This will heal the rashes.
5. Application of Aloe Vera pulp on poison oak rashes twice daily yields rewarding results.
6. Application of tea tree oil on affected skin is a great curative measure for poison oak.
7. Apply mashed jewel weed leaves on rashes to heal them quickly.
8. Application of the pulp of watermelon reduces rashes.
9. Mix Epsom salt and water to make a paste. Apply the paste on affected skin. This combats well the poison oak complications.
10. Mix salt, vinegar and buttermilk and apply on rashes. This will alleviate skin irritation, pain and discomfort.
11. Make a paste of baking soda with water. Apply it on poison oak rashes. This is a good remedial measure.
12. Washing the affected skin with white or apple cider vinegar gives much relief.
13. Application of honey helps to get rid of rashes.
14. Mix three-fourth cup warm water and one-fourth cup bleach. Soak cloth in the mixture and sponge affected skin with it twice daily. This destroys the poison and heals the rashes.
15. In order to disperse the poisonous sap, bathe in warm water.
16. Soak 3 cups of oats in water overnight. In the morning wash affected skin with oat water. This brings much relief.
17. Boil leaves of peach tree in water to make a tea. Strain and use the tea to wash the affected skin. This cures poison oak.
18. Rubbing of the inner side of lemon peel or the peel of any other citrus fruit on skin relieves poison oak.
Read more Home Remedies for Poison Oak.
Photo Credit: Charles M. Wrenn III
Article Source: Articlesbase.com