Road trips with your family, beach days with friends and solo hikes to ease your mind and enjoy the scenery — summer is one of the most exciting times to explore the outdoors. No matter where you live, there is something about summer that just makes you feel good, but how can you fuel good too? The most important item, next to water, is always a snack, and Registered Dietitian Marisa Moore weighs in on the perfect one that will elevate your next adventure.
When it comes to outdoor bites, Marisa believes the perfect kind is one that’s “portable and non-perishable but also one that provides energizing carbs plus protein and fiber for staying power.” If you’re looking for an energy boost and in need of options, almonds are the best go-to. “Almonds’ power-packed nutrition makes it easy to snack healthy – just one ounce (one handful) delivers 6g of natural, plant-based protein, 4g of filling fiber, 13g of good unsaturated fats and 1g of saturated fat,” says Marisa. “They are truly an action-packed snack that is healthy, versatile and give you the fuel needed to finish the day strong.”
Marisa recommends three recipes when prepping goodies to take on your next exploration. Forgetting to pack food without the right nutrients never ends well, so remember that almonds always get the job done. From protein bites to a zesty handful of almonds to a refreshing summer smoothie, these playful almond recipes will leave you feeling energized and ready for your next day in the sun.
Almond Butter Fuel-up Bites
Ingredients (Serves 10 balls)
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 3 medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- Optional: 10 unroasted whole almonds
- Combine almond butter, coconut flour, medjool dates, maple syrup, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon and salt into a food processor or blender and combine until the mixture is super-smooth. (Tip: pause the food processor/blender several times to pull all the ingredients to the middle using a spatula while mixing.)
- Scoop mixture onto parchment paper and hand-roll into 10 evenly sized balls.
- If desired, roll the balls in unsweetened coconut flakes and top each ball with a whole almond for added texture and crunch!
- Chill balls in fridge for at least an hour.
Chile Lime Almonds
- Your preferred oil
- Your favorite chile powder
- Lime zest
- Add almonds to a pan with oil, your favorite chile powder and lime zest.
- Heat until the almonds are well-coated and the spices are cooked through.
- Let cool.
- Enjoy a handful of these chile lime almonds whenever the mood strikes.
Peach Vanilla Smoothie
- Almond milk
- Frozen peaches
- Dates or bananas
- Vanilla extract
- Chopped almonds
- Optional: Spinach
- Add almond milk as the base with frozen peaches, dates (or banana), a splash of vanilla extract and a dash of cinnamon into a blender. Blend until desired consistency.
- Pour into a cup and add chopped almonds on top for crunch.
Source: (BPT) Brandpointcontent.com