Now, at peak time for asparagus, enjoy this unique, bright green veggie. Asparagus is a good source of folate, fiber, and vitamin K, a nutrient involved in bone metabolism and blood clotting. Steam asparagus, as the recipe calls, or throw it on the grill and then top with a drizzle of parmesan sauce.
Asparagus with Parmesan
- 1 lb. medium sized asparagus (rinsed and trimmed)
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 4 tsp. unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fat free milk
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- Steam the asparagus until just tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a cold saucepan, blend canola oil with flour using a wire whisk. Slowly whisk in the milk and heat the sauce over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add onion powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to stir until thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the cheese. Pour hot cheese sauce over asparagus and serve immediately.