Asthma is a common respiratory disease that affects people of all ages, and if not controlled it can be chronic. This chronic disease is very common in US and the number of patients suffering from it is on the rise. Proper medications during the asthmatic attack must be administered at right time as negligence may lead to fatality of the patient. There is no definite cure for this chronic ailment but can be controlled through various medications and taking preventive measures.
This occurs due to the frequent inflammation of the air passages or bronchioles of the lungs and people face extreme difficulties in breathing. It is often followed by coughing and wheezing sound.
The exact cause of asthma still remains unexplained but there are certain risk factors that make a human being more prone to asthma. The main risk involves the combination of the genetic factors and the exposure to allergens that makes the condition of a person suffering from asthma more serious. Some allergens which are responsible for asthma are –
1. Pollens and dust mites in house
2. Severe air pollution
4. Strong perfumes and some chemicals
Some Other Factors That Trigger Asthmatic Attacks Are:
1. Seasonal changes
2. Chilly weather
3. Viral infections
4. Certain drugs
5. Certain food items
7. Hormonal changes during pregnancy
8. Emotional fluctuations
Herbal remedies used to be the only mode of treatment for asthma since early days as these remedies come almost without any side effects. Herbal remedies for asthma can be as powerful as any synthetic drugs and so these must be administered with utmost care with due consultations with health experts.
1. The roots of Licorice have been found effective in restoring the breathing by clearing the air passages.
2. Gingko biloba is a well known herb used to treat asthma as it works to inhibit the PAF (Platelet Activating Factor) which is responsible for inducing anaphylactic reactions.
3. The leaves of Adhatoda vasica acts as a bronchodilator and mild expectorant. It increases the viscosity of the mucous and helps in the expectoration.
4. Turmeric contains the chemical called Curcumin. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent that reduces the inflammation of the respiratory tract in both acute and chronic condition of asthma, helping the patient to breathe properly.
5. Coltsfoot suppresses the cough and it has been used since olden days to treat asthma and various lung ailments.
6. The dried leaves and the flowering tops of Grindelia acts in reducing the Bronchospasm associated with asthma and bronchitis.
7. The root of Chinese skullcap prevents the release of histamines and reduces the hypersensitivity and inflammation of the air passages in asthma.
Preventive measures must also be strictly followed along with these herbal medications to control the asthmatic attacks.
Find more useful Asthma Home Remedies. Also know Diet for Asthma Patient. Find information on different Types of Asthma.