Easy and Affordable Meal-Prep Ideas
This time of year can be busy – and expensive. By preparing meals in advance, you can stick to a budget more easily and enjoy the comfort of home-cooked food even when life is hectic. Cabbage rolls are great to have on hand and use affordable ingredients like rice and ground meat.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 70 minutes
Serves: 4 – 6
- 1 lb (500 g) ground beef
- 1/2 lb (250 g) ground pork
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) U.S. parboiled rice
- 1 cup (250 ml) minced onion
- 2 tsp (10 ml) each salt and pepper
- 12 large cabbage leaves
- 1 10 oz (284 ml) can condensed tomato soup
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, pork, rice, onion, salt and pepper and mix well. Set aside.
- Remove leaves from cabbage and blanch in a large pot of boiling, salted water until just crisp, about 7 minutes. Rinse leaves in colander under cold water until completely cold.
- Working with one leaf at a time, cut out any very large veins from the leaf using a sharp knife. Fill each leaf with 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the rice mixture. Fold over sides of each filled leaf and roll up to secure. Arrange seam-side down in a 13 by 9-inch (3 L) casserole dish. Repeat with remaining cabbage and rice.
- Pour soup evenly over cabbage rolls. Top with water just to cover rolls. Tightly cover dish with foil and bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 60 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
Find more delicious recipes at riceinfo.com