Do you like to eat cream soup? Making this creamy and delicious soup is actually easy. Cream soup has heavier texture that allows it to deliver more flavors, because the broth will be stick to the tongue. This kind of meal is really perfect to warming you up after having all of your activity in a cold weather. Furthermore, adding mushroom on it will make it to be a perfect cream soup you have ever had.
Since there are various kinds of mushroom, you can make a lot of variants of cream soup with your favorite ones. The most common mushroom is white or button mushroom. However, you could also use other types such as Chanterelle, Shiitake, Morel, Porcini, Portobello, and Oyster.
So, are you ready to for the best recipe of mushroom cream soup? Here is what you should prepare and the steps in cooking them.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 4 cups of light cream (half and half)
- 1 pound of mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 pound of mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/4 cup of fortified wine, such as Sherry, Port or Madeira
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped or dried parsley and basil
1. Melt butter in soup pot on medium low heat, and add onions and salt. Then, saute the onions until they are soft.
2. Add mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes, and stir it well as you do to prevent any lumps.
3. Add the broth a bit at time while keep on stirring. You can add the rest of the broth after enough broth has been added to make everything liquid.
4. Bring to a boil and reduce to low heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or so. It allows the flour to thicken the soup.
5. You can add the cream, pepper, basil and parsley, and simmer the soup without boiling for about ten minutes to let the flavors mixing completely.
6. The last thing is adding the fortified wine, stir and serve it in hot or warm temperature.
If you do not like basil, you can substitute it with Tarragon or adding garlic along with onions in making any variety in serving cream of mushroom soup. And you should remember well that you should not clean the mushroom in the water. It will make the mushroom soak up that will stop them from absorbing the flavors of your soup. Instead, you could to brush them cleanly with a dry cloth or a very soft brush.
Frederic C Padilla