Meaty portabella mushrooms take the place of meat in these vegetarian-friendly pepper burrito bowls. Brown rice and beans make a healthy yet satisfying addition to the filling.
Pepper Burrito “Bowls”
- 3 large peppers (red, green or orange )
- 2 cups brown rice (cooked)
- 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 3 large portabella mushrooms (diced, fresh)
- 1 small red onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 can (796 mL/28 oz) diced tomatoes (partially drained)
- 1 package Tex-Mex seasoning
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) black beans(canned)
- 3/4 cup (175ml) corn (frozen)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) mozzarella cheese(shredded)
- Optional: chopped cilantro, diced avocado, sour cream, salsa
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place cut side up in a shallow baking dish. Set aside.
- Cook brown rice as per package instructions. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add diced
portabellas and sauté 4 to 5 minutes, or until most of the moisture has
been released. Add onion and garlic to the pan; sauté another 1 to 2
minutes or until fragrant. Add diced tomatoes, Tex-Mex seasoning, black
beans, corn and cooked rice to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally,
over medium-low heat until mixture thickens slightly; about 6 to 8
- Spoon rice mixture into each pepper half; approximately ½ cup (125 mL)
in each. Sprinkle each pepper with shredded cheese. Cover baking dish
with foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until peppers are softened.
- Serve topped with cilantro, avocado, sour cream and salsa on the side.
Source: (NC) www.newscanada.com