This creamy mushroom sauce recipe is simple and delicious. By using zucchini as the base, you get a mushroom sauce that is full of nutrients and low-fat.
You can serve it over any whole grain or noodle, or even a sauteed vegetable, but I have served it over millet. This is a satisfying dish that doesn’t make you feel tired and sluggish.
Makes 2 main dish servings.
Creamy Mushroom Sauce Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup millet
- sea salt
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tsp olive or coconut oil
- 10 mushrooms, sliced, stems separated
- 1 Tbsp red or white wine (or water)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- pinch black pepper
- 2 tsp dried basil
- dash of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- fresh basil or parsley, as garnish
Creamy Mushroom Sauce Recipe Preparation
- If making millet, rinse and drain it, and add 2 cups of water for your 1 cup of millet. Sprinkle sea salt in the water, bring it to a boil and simmer on low for 20 minutes, or until dry and fluffy.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan to medium heat. Add the oil and the sliced mushroom tops. Reserve the stems for the sauce. Saute the mushrooms for a few minutes while you start on the sauce.
- Heat a medium sauce pot, add oil, onion and garlic. Stir to coat, and allow to cook for a few minutes until onions are translucent. Stir in the zucchini and mushroom stems and allow to saute for a few minutes until all the vegetables are starting to soften.
- The next part of this creamy mushroom sauce recipe is to go back to the mushrooms, sprinkle salt on them, and let cook a few more minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper, basil, nutmeg and optional nutritional yeast, and stir to coat the vegetables. Cook until the zucchini is fully softened.
- Go back to the mushrooms and when they are fully cooked pour the wine, water and optional lime juice in the pan to deglaze. Set aside until the sauce is finished.
- Once it is very soft, add the water, coconut milk and lime juice and let simmer for a couple of minutes. Lime juice makes this sauce very light and playful, so if you are looking for a heavier-tasting creamy sauce leave this out and use more coconut milk.
- Blend the vegetables in a blender or food processor until smooth. Stir in the sauteed mushrooms and serve over the fully cooked millet or other grain, garnished with your choice of fresh green herb.
To watch a free video of me making this creamy mushroom sauce recipe, so I can show you the exact techniques that will make the perfect mushroom sauce, go to http://www.healthyveganrecipes.net
Heather Nauta is a registered holistic nutritionist who teaches you how to live a healthy vegan/vegetarian lifestyle, including how to get proper nutrition, enough protein, vitamin b12 and other minerals, and how to make an amazing variety of simple, fast healthy recipes that taste incredible for you and your family.
Photo Credit: FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com/
Article Posted: July 15, 2012