Cumin is a great tasting spice that has been used since ancient times as a healing and health protecting agent. It has been used around the world mainly for digestion. Taken after a meal in pill form or a soothing tea made from the seeds, it has been known to also control flatulence, ease stomach pain, and combat various causes of nausea. I’ve seen recommended recipes suggesting boiling 1 tsp cumin in water, steep and sip slowly for best effect.
The antioxidants found in cumin are excellent cancer fighting properties and recently studies have shown cumin to reduce the risk of stomach and liver tumors in animals, specifically rats.
Having difficulty sleeping? There are components in cumin that are known to have a tranquilizing effect and help with insomnia.
Also: Cumin increases body heat making metabolism more efficient; Can boost the production of bone marrow, natural interferon, and immune cells, Helps to fight diseases; and Relieves symptoms of the common cold due to it’s antiseptic properties.
Try this savory chicken seasoning blend for a combination of healthy spices:
Savory Chicken Seasoning Blend
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- Mix the salt, basil, rosemary, garlic powder, mustard, paprika, black pepper, thyme, celery seed, parsley, cumin, cayenne pepper, and chicken bouillon together until blended.
- You can also add this mixture to chili and stews. Who can pass up delicious, nutritious, spices all mixed into one?
Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be considered for medical use without checking with your professional medical adviser. Remember, some food and spices can interfere with prescription drugs and have an adverse effect on those who may have allergic reactions. Never change your health routine without competent medical advice.
M. Bradley McCauley has overcome numerous health problems through good nutrition and awareness of natural healing processes. Many of her health giving articles can be found at Healing With Food, http://www.squidoo.com/healingfood and http://healingfoodandspices.blogspot.com/